9 months ago
Visual/Demensional Inspector - 2nd Shift
US - CT - Groton
Under close supervision, performs basic cold bench straightening techniques to adjust less complex castings to dimensional tolerance. As a team member in a finishing work cell performs all functions as required to meet daily throughput objective while meeting product quality requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Reads and follow shop travelers and straightening technique cards detailing customer specifications to straighten basic castings to dimensional requirements using less complex fixtures.
Apply the use of basic fixtures and straightening dies and dimensional inspection tools such as but not limited to go / no go gages, calipers, micrometers, dyer gages, height stands, dial check indicators necessary to perform dimensional checks.
Use mallets, vises, kick-presses and other hand and bench tools to flatten, straighten, adjust angles, and other operations as required to bring part within acceptable limits.
Check work with dial indicators, dimensions and inter-relationships and with a high demand for flatness, parallelism and angularity of features.Exercise care in operation and handling to avoid surface damage, cracking or excessive distortion. Use acetylene torch as necessary or as directed to work specified parts (make metal malleable).
Detect and report defective parts or unusual conditions to lead or supervisor.
Maintain work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition. Follow safety regulations.
Perform other finishing functions to meet daily throughput goals such as but not limited to grit blasting, roto filing, dig out, and weld blending as assigned by lead or supervisor.
Follow all prescribed safety procedures and wear PPE as prescribed in Hazard Assessment Form for the job.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
* Ability to work from simple drawings with dimensional specifications and tolerances. Use scale, micrometers, and gauges. Plan and perform all required operations to straighten basic, less complex castings to close tolerances.
* Requires the use of judgment to determine and perform straightening operations on various sizes and shapes of cast parts, check work to close tolerance, avoid over stressing or cracking. Physical effort consisting of frequently lifting or moving heavy weights up to 50 pounds. Continuous mental or visual attention necessary in straightening, check, setting up and performing other related duties involving constant alertness.
* Plan and perform all required operations to straighten a wide variety of cast parts to close tolerances. Requires the use of judgment to determine and perform straightening operations on various sizes and shapes of cast parts, check work to close tolerance, avoid over stressing or cracking
* Moderate physical effort consisting of frequently lifting or moving heavy weight material
* Continuous mental or visual attention necessary in straightening, check, setting up and performing other related duties involving constant alertness and activity.
* Reports to the finishing lead person and the finishing supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
* Over 6 months and up to and including 1 year
* Use ordinary arithmetic, decimals and fractions. Work from simple drawings, specifications. Use scale, micrometers, and gauges.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.