5 months ago
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation (NASDAQ: ATRO) serves the world's aerospace, defense, and semiconductor industries with proven, innovative technology solutions. We work side-by-side with customers, integrating our array of power, connectivity, lighting, structure, interior, and test technologies to solve complex challenges. For 50 years, we've delivered creative, customer-focused solutions with exceptional responsiveness. Today global airframe manufacturers, airlines, military branches, completion centers, and Fortune 500 companies rely on the collaborative spirit and innovation of Astronics.
We offer our breadth of technology solutions and services through 11 subsidiary business units and numerous award-winning product brands. Serving our customers is our first priority, and every day we honor this mission with quality, partnership, and energetic global vision.
Lake Zurich, IL
Astronics Connectivity Systems and Certification (formerly Telefonix PDT and Astronics Armstrong Aerospace) serves as the experienced, global market leader for in-flight entertainment and connectivity (IFEC) solutions for aircraft. As a systems certification provider, Astronics CSC has worked on over 100 projects for industry partners to upgrade commercial and business aircraft with new passenger power systems, IFEC navigation, communication and flight safety systems. Additionally, Astronics CSC offers proven IFEC hardware systems, flexible design platforms, high customer satisfaction, and long-term relationships with industry leaders to help make the connected aircraft a reality. The company now employs over 300 employees, and is a six-time recipient of Chicago’s Best and Brightest Employers to Work For award.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Work closely with program managers and engineers across the organization (and occasionally the customer) to help define, develop, and publish a variety of technical design and certification document types.
* Author and maintain the technical documentation, working in a cross-functional setting.
* Responsible for technical documentation used in design and certification of in-flight entertainment and connectivity (IFEC) hardware.
* The job is located on site in Lake Zurich, Illinois. This is not a “work from home” position.
* Very strong attention to detail.
* Intolerance for self-introduced mistakes and formatting errors/corruption.
* Contribute to definition of product documentation strategy including tools, systems, process, and formats used.
* Act as an information architect, author, & editor of technical documentation.
* Drive the development of product documentation, coordinating your efforts with subject matter experts in order to actively seek out and gather technical information and inputs from the technical team.
* Develop documentation including qualification testing plans/procedures/reports, component maintenance manuals, and other FAA regulatory documentation.
* Proactively provide status/progress updates to management and raise flags immediately when questions arise or when you become blocked from making progress.
* Able to understand and analyze technical information (standards, requirements, technical drawings) in order to identify when information is missing, ask questions, and be able to recognize correctness/appropriateness of information.
* Willing and able to put in the effort to meet deadlines.
Education and/or Experience:
* Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math, required.
* Advanced expertise with MS Word, especially in manipulating formatting and styles.
* Advanced expertise with Adobe FrameMaker.
* Experience with MS Excel and Visio.
* Experience working directly with engineering development teams.
* Very strong written and verbal English communication skills, including use of proper grammar and spelling.
* Excellent review, proofing, and self-editing skills.
* Self-motivated, quick learner requiring minimal supervision.
* A pro-active team player who can prioritize tasks, communicate clearly, and influence cross-functional teams.
* Innovative thinker who has a strong customer and quality focus.
* Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
* Skilled time manager, comfortable in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities, aggressive deadlines, and interruptions.
* Resourceful problem solver.
* Very strong work ethic.
* Quickly learns from mistakes.
* Ability to accept critique on document drafts.
* Formal training in Technical Writing, English, Journalism, or a related field is a plus.
* Experience in a highly regulated industry (aerospace, aviation, medical, military). Aerospace industry experience is preferred.
* Familiarity with FAA regulatory documentation and standards is ideal, but not required (e.g. DO-160, ARINC specs, Airbus ABDs, Boeing specs).
* Structured testing experience is a bonus (especially qualification/certification test experience).
* 2 years of proven experience designing, developing, and delivering technical documents.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.