8 months ago
Technical Apprentice (Project Engineering)
Ampthill - Bedfordshire
Specific Job Description
LMUK Ampthill are looking for students studying A Level in Mathematics, Science or Technology, or Students undertaking a Diploma or Extended Diploma in Engineering and are looking for an opportunity to undertake a four year Technical Apprenticeship in Project Engineering.
The apprenticeship will entail continued study at college, which will lead to the completion of the following qualifications:
* Level 3 NVQ in Engineering (started at college and completed in the workplace)
* HNC completed at end of second year (via day release)
* HND completed at end of third year (via day release)
* Potential option to start BSc in fourth year (via day release, subject to confirmation)
Further qualifications are fully encouraged by LMUK Ampthill post apprenticeship, with a robust mentoring programme firmly established on site. Professional accreditation is also proactively encouraged, with mentoring, support and guidance provided.
On-site training at LMUK Ampthill will see the individual embedded into Project Engineering Team to allow the full design lifecycle to be understood and supported. This will align the individual to the opportunity of a post apprenticeship career within the Project Engineering arena.
Work place deployments consist of (but not limited to) the following Business Areas:
* Project Engineering Team
* Configuration management
* Product Certification
Typical duties could include:
* Support Lead Engineer with completion of engineering projects within area of assigned responsibility
* Support product design reviews for compliance with engineering principles, company standards and related specifications
* Apply processes to engineering tools and ensure engineering tools are fully utilised
* Ensuring that configuration management of designs are maintained
* Facilitate Engineering Drawing Review Boards (DRB)
* Capturing design updates and progressing through the change process
* Help resolve engineering design problems
Phase 1, Two year day release at college to gain HNC, supported by business area deployment in various departments to obtain a broad spectrum of experience.
Phase 2, One year day release at college to gain HND, supported by focused business area deployment.
Phase 3, Up to two years day release (1 year as an apprentice/1 year as an engineer following completion of 4 year scheme), at a local university, to gain a recognised Mechanical related degree supported by specialised business area deployment.
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
United Kingdom (UK)
We are looking for talented individuals with demonstrable experience in delivering complex, high value, critical components and services from suppliers. In return, we can offer an exciting and challenging career path. Please note that the LMUK Ampthill working pattern is a 9 day fortnight with the site closed every second Friday.
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
* A-Levels in relevant subject area (e.g. Mathematics, Science, Technology) or
* Or Engineering Level 3 (or BTEC equivalent e.g. diploma or extended diploma).
* IT proficient (ideally Microsoft Office)
* A strong communicator, both written and verbal.
* Attention to detail
* Ability to understand processes and follow
* Ability to support and teach others
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
* Engineering experience through education, especially practical (workshop) experience.
* Computer Aided Design (CAD) experience through education.
* Production of engineering drawings, especially in line with British Standard (BS) 8888
* Mechanical Engineering experience through education, especially with regard to British and International Standards.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.