5 months ago
Job Description Summary
SNC is currently seeking exceptional candidates who wish to be a part of the commercial space revolution. Our fun, fast-paced and collaborative team designs, builds, and flies the Dream Chaser Cargo System, an ambitious flagship program to create our Nation's only commercially reusable space plane. With your help, we will conduct many safe and successful missions over the next decade to deliver critical cargo to and from the International Space Station. These flights for NASA will enable us to build an unprecedented commercial space transportation network around the Dream Chaser, which provides affordable, cutting-edge orbital capability and return to Earth services onto runways around the globe. The future of space transportation is now.
In this role, you will report to the Avionics, Software and Comm (AS&C) Hardware design lead. The HW Design Staff is responsible for supporting the design, development, procurement and testing of avionics hardware. AS&C is responsible for the Dream Chaser spacecraft avionics and communications subsystems, from detailed system engineering specification, thru design, analysis, and HW/SW integration and testing. The avionics consists of Command & Data Handling (C&DH) hardware, Network & Instrumentation (INST) and Guidance, Navigation & Control (GN&C) sensors/effectors for both orbit and atmospheric flight. Computer and network architecture, distributed controls and data collection are inherent elements of the system.
This role requires the ability to focus on details such as interface requirements, hardware definition, and channelization of electrical sensors and subsystem hardware. Beneficial experience with high performance computer systems or aircraft/spacecraft avionics is a plus. Design / integration of hardware systems also qualifies the candidate. Experience with avionics design such as flight computers, data handling systems or instrumentation is a plus.
Experience may take the form of new development, modifications, integration, verification or testing of avionics or computer control systems and sensors, system integration in a custom/COTS environment (including HW/SW interaction, verification or validation), performance analysis, reliability analysis (such as hazard reports, safety analysis, FMEA, etc….). The ability to interpret high level vehicle requirements and derive component level specifications and verification tasks is highly desired. A working knowledge of digital data bus architectures (MIL-STD-1553B, Ethernet, SpaceWire and RS-422) or instrumentation is beneficial. Design and integration experience with complex electro-mechanical systems could qualify. Previous experience with technical subcontract management is a bonus
* Support AS&C refinement of avionics architecture and specifications -- decomposing requirements, developing component specifications and developing hazard controls
* Support AS&C procurement by identifying vendors and maintaining impeccable vendor relationships throughout life cycle
* Support AS&C subsystem checkout during the engineering phase by authoring test plans and procedures for verifying operation of subsystem and components
* Support the vehicle build and test as a subsystem expert
* Support technical meetings and reviews, including Program milestone reviews.
* Coordination of engineering schedules and milestones.
* Define, develop, and evaluate operational requirements.
* Perform requirements analysis and trade studies.
* Identify technical problems and recommend solutions.
* Perform risk analyses and assessments.
* Support anomaly resolutions; development and review of operations procedures and data analysis.
* Perform verification/validation methodologies and author test plans and procedures for verifying operation of subsystem and components during vehicle level I&T.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
* Follow SNC policies, procedures and work instructions for all technical activities
* Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled work hours
* Other duties as assigned
* Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
* Responsible for timely execution of all personnel-related activities such as Time Sheet completion, Performance Evaluations, Salary Reviews, Succession Planning, etc.
* Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
SNC job descriptions are meant as summarizations only. They do not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a position
* Experience with computer system design or integration of hardware and software is.
* 3+ years of related experience
* Background in Digital or Analog Board design or FPGA design will receive additional consideration.
* Experience with testing, verification and validation
* Experience performing hardware integration and testing is.
* Experience with flight test instrumentation (FTI) or spacecraft instrumentation.
* Familiar with the use of common instrumentation sensors such as strain gages, accelerometers, and other transducers.
* Excellent communication skills
* Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
* Previous experience and skills in project definition, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test
* Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment with emphasizes in rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
* Working knowledge of EEE Parts selection, digital data bus architectures including MIL-STD-1553B, RS-422, Ethernet and SpaceWire
* Familiarity with ITAR requirements and experience interfacing with foreign vendors is beneficial.
* Direct hands-on systems development experience desirable.
* Experience with data acquisition and recording systems.
* Experience with C&DH or GNC hardware or instrumentation
* To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Sierra Nevada Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
– Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran, or any other protected status
pursuant to applicable local, state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.