Leonardo Helicopters part of the multi-national Leonardo Group is a world leader in the design, manufacture and support of helicopters. We have a great heritage and pride ourselves both on our reputation for excellence and for providing opportunities for our people. Here is your chance to become part of the success story.
We are looking for a talented Synthetic Software Architect to join our UK team based at our Yeovil site in the South West of England.
Employment benefits include a competitive salary, 25 days annual leave, salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme, the opportunity to join an award winning pension scheme, free car parking, employee discount scheme, an on-site Occupational Health Service, flexible working, flexi -leave scheme and a generous relocation package.
As a Synthetic Software Architect, your main purpose is to manage a small group of software developers to meet the design and development goals related to cost, schedule and performance. This relates to all development projects and support to business winning. The role includes maintaining and developing the competence of software engineering resources, processes and tools to meet the needs of the Line of Business.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Reporting to the Synthetic Learning & Support Services (SL&SS) Development Manager based in Yeovil within the Leonardo Helicopter Division.
- Provides a UK Focus for Training Software Engineering.
- Supports the Governance and Control of software engineering activities including the assignment of software engineers to product development, contract delivery and support to customer proposals.
- Based in Yeovil and with regular UK and occasional international travel.
- Contributes to, and is governed by, the Training Department within Customer Support and Training (CST&T) Helicopter Division with specific reference to the software engineering function.
Key Job Accountabilities:
- Design, develop and execute software solutions to address business issues.
- Interpret business requirements to articulate the business needs to be addressed.
- Collaborate with other professionals to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications.
- Use tools and methodologies to create representations for functions and user interface of desired product.
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility.
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards.
- Communicate successfully all concepts and guidelines to development team.
- Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design.
- Oversee progress of supplier network to ensure consistency with initial design.
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to developers and applications specialists.
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
- Approve final product before launch.
- Troubleshoot code level problems quickly and efficiently.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Master's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering OR Equivalent industry experience (i.e. A-rated game studio developer). Training will be provided on Avionics Software behaviour.
- Extensive experience designing and building software applications.
- Proven experience as software architect.
- Experience in software development and coding in various languages (C++, C#, .NET, Java, UNITY etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of software and application design and architecture.
- Excellent knowledge of UML and other modelling methods.
- Understanding of software quality assurance principles.
- A technical mind-set with great attention to detail.
- High quality organizational and leadership skills.
- Outstanding communication and presentation abilities.
- MSc/MA in computer science, engineering or relevant field.
Please note that applications will only be accepted if you are eligible to live and work in the UK. We are not a Tier 2 Visa sponsoring Company. This role may also require the successful candidate to hold full UK MoD Security Clearance.