5 months ago
SR STAFF ENGINEER SOFTWARE (DO-178 SME)-1800490
Software engineers may develop embedded software, user interface software, regression tests, hardware-in-the-loop integration tests, control system development tools, database systems, operating systems, compilers, interpreters and device drivers. Software engineers perform work requiring the application of standard engineering principles, practices, procedures and evaluation criteria in conjunction with appropriate software and compliance standards. Responsibilities may include design solutions/implementation, test creation/execution and/or general support.
* Design, support and test of moderate to high complexity, highly integrated software systems and sub-systems.
* Uses expert knowledge of software development, simulation and analysis tools to evaluate and drive implementation of an appropriate tool suite that complements the global enterprise needs.
* Participate in the development, upkeep, and implementation of technology roadmaps as driven through future market needs and upcoming product roadmaps.
* Lead and consult on the development and execution of test plans. Provide technical problem solving guidance to others.
* Identify/lead complex or novel research assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures.
* Provide work effort estimates - help lead project planning efforts including project task definition. May be counted on to review/consult on plans and criteria developed by others. Participates in proposal technical writing and cost estimation for customers.
* Provide technical leadership to the enterprise. Support/identify technology leverage opportunities within and between Business Segment engineering groups.
* Carry out extensive and complex research assignments which require the development of new or improved techniques and procedures. May lead multiple projects of high complexity. High level of mentoring and consultation.
* Drive strategic planning process. Evaluate enterprise trade-offs within projects and programs.
* Identify/lead process/standard improvement activities.
* May represent Woodward in industry which includes the periodic release of technical papers and presentations.
* Provide definition for the technical career path for engineering (i.e. job description associated with various levels). Provide performance and capability feedback to appropriate managers for engineers in support of the MAP process.
* May provide patentable intellectual property to the organization. May participate in and support new business development and acquisitions.
(Only 1 Specific Area May Apply)
PRODUCT SUPPORT SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Expert knowledge of appropriate internal information management system (i.e. ERP, MRP, PLC and Document Storage system) applications.
* Manage/coordinate all levels of derivatives including task definition and duration estimation.
* Expert root cause analysis skills.
* Company expert on a select group of products.
* Expert use of technical assistance, incident tracking ,and knowledge-base applications.
* Manage/coordinate engineering changes so that they minimize impact to the rest of the organization - mentor lower level engineers in these tasks.
* Lead and improve engineering functions such as E/C Review Committee.
* Expert knowledge in a diverse group of products.
DEVELOPMENT SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Lead Engineering Peer Reviews.
* Oversee unit testing, debugging, software/hardware integration.
* Lead product improvement and replacement efforts.
* Established technical authority for engineering changes so as to minimize impact to the rest of the organization.
* Lead process and standards improvement efforts.
* Company expert on select group of products.
* Drive all levels of derivatives including task definition and duration estimations.
* Regularly perform/attend customer and/or industry presentations.
VERIFICATION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Lead quality of software or software tool using regression, integration and system testing, as appropriate.
* Create, review and drive verification plans; capturing needed requirements.
* Lead proper test results; reviewing test results with developers and provide technical expertise and knowledge during issues solving.
* Lead all levels of testing per predefined test plan; monitor adherence to test schedule(s).
* Lead creation of automated regression testing; research new technologies to improve testability.
* Lead robust software product release readiness reviews, including appropriate sign-offs.
* Lead pre-existing product life cycle development process; monitor process for effectiveness.
Materials and Equipment Used:
* PC and related equipment.
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
* Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust and temperatures above 80 degrees F.
* Moderate travel may be required.
* Expert engineering knowledge, expert software design, development and verification aptitude.
* Proven track record of writing good software requirements for complex software that satisfy system expectations and regularly participates in system requirement reviews.
* Highly refined written/verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability in giving presentations; excellent teamwork abilities.
* Excellent problem solving & troubleshooting skills and analytical calculation skills.
* Solid use of PC's and associated software.
* Full and demonstrated knowledge of software engineering lifecycles and quality process, guides others in the process.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Proven track record as project team lead.
* Superior knowledge in multiple specialized technical fields or product family, including a wide spectrum of general knowledge.
* Ability to evaluate new technologies and new tools usage in the industry.
* Responsible for adoption of new tools and/or regularly contributes to process improvement activities.
Education or Formal Training:
* 4 year technical/science degree or International equivalent required.
* Advanced degree desired.
* Greater than 12 years professional software engineering experience or a combination of experience and advanced degree required.
* Extensive experience with software development and/or verification
* Expertise in Software Development processes standards such as DO-178
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S. Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
Job: Electrical Engineering
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Niles
Schedule: FULL TIME
Shift: 1st Shift / Day Job