5 months ago
SR. MECHANICAL ENGINEER (Fly by Wire Flight Control)-1801624
The Senior Engineer, Mechanical reports to the Engineering Leader and is responsible for the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of engineering tasks. This position works under a moderate to low level of supervision. Independent technical decisions on work are covered by precedents; this position seeks direction/guidance on novel or controversial problems. In addition, this position may participate in project-specific relationship building with Customers, Suppliers, individuals or organizations.
* Hydraulic flight controls / Aircraft Hydraulics
* Writing proposals
* Plans, schedules and coordinates detailed phases of a project.
* Devises new approaches to problems encountered.
* Participates in and promotes process improvements within assigned areas.
* Performs work which involves conventional engineering practices, but includes a variety of complex features, such as conflicting design requirements, non-standard materials and difficult coordination requirements.
* Provides direct support of sales and development by sharing information in the form of proposals and design reviews.
* Independently troubleshoots/analyzes component/system problems.
* Independently writes and performs component tests.
* Dispositions hardware with minimum supervision.
* Sets technical direction on projects to level 1 and 2 Engineers.
At some international locations, may perform the following functions:
* Generates, discusses and maintains components design proposals with internal departments balancing need to customer specification with manufacturing/cost implications.
* Creates detail designs using 2D and 3D drafting including dimensioning and tolerancing.
* Documents/archives/retrieves drawings from storage system.
* Creates and maintains BOMs; releases drawings in WISE.
Materials and Equipment Used:
* PC and related equipment
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
* Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust and temperatures above 80 degrees F.
* Some travel required.
* Effective written and verbal communication skills including presentations (internal, customers and management); Writes and communicates technical reports. Solid technical writing skills(EARS, procedures, reports, etc.).
* Competent skills in complex problem solving and trouble-shooting.
* Competent in the use of PCs and associated software.
* Competent knowledge of appropriate WISE applications such as BOM, Item Master, NCR, EC screens and part tracking.
* Ability to effectively operate in the project team environment and communicate with Customers. May direct or lead work of technicians, detailers and designers.
* Working knowledge of standards and the ability to apply complex groupings of standards into designs.
* Competent use and understanding of FEA tools, basic use of DFSS tools and methodologies; competent knowledge of Engineering quality systems (PLC, engineering change, configuration management). Solid ability to compute steady state results. Assists with development of department and organization procedures.
* Complete understanding of component function and testing requirements. Understands manufacturing processes, drawings and geometric dimensioning and tolerances as well as shop standards and procedures and how they impact designs. May guide level 1 & 2 Engineers.
* Effective time management skills.
Education or Formal Training:
* Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering required.
* Greater than 4 years in related field or entry level PhD required.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job: Mechanical Engineering
Primary Location: United States-California-Valencia
Schedule: FULL TIME
Shift: 1st Shift / Day Job