2 months ago
Space Robotics Electrical Power and Battery Engineer
Req #: 223065
Location: Houston, TX US
Job Category: Engineering
Minimum Security Clearance: None
CACI is looking for a Space Robotics Power and Battery Engineer to work with NASA Johnson Space Center to design the next generation of humanoid robots. We are looking for an electrical engineer with experience in power systems to join the Valkyrie humanoid robot team in NASA’s Robotic Systems Technology Branch. Building on the success of the existing Valkyrie and Robonaut 2 humanoid robots, this design team is tasked with advancing our ability to project a remote human presence and dexterous manipulation capability into challenging, dangerous, and distant environments both in space and here on earth.
This position will contribute directly to the design of the next NASA humanoid robot with an emphasis on creating new, integrated electrical system designs for power distribution, battery and battery management systems, and electromechanical power conversion for high performance robot actuation. New designs will be supported by the engineer from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through to operational test and deployment.
What You’ll Get to Do:
This position requires a self-motivated, capable person with strong verbal and written communication skills who will have NASA interface responsibility working in support of our Nation’s space program at NASA / Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. In addition to outstanding technical expertise, the individual must be very people savvy, have strong customer relationship skills, possess a positive team-player attitude, and be flexible and willing to take on new assignments and responsibilities as they arise. Finally, the most qualified candidate will be an articulate speaker able to communicate complex technical ideas in a convincing manner, must share our passion for our Nation's Space Program, and in the excitement of developing robotic systems for the next generation of humanoid robots.
This work takes place at NASA/JSC in Houston, TX, a highly stimulating and dynamic environment that is critical in human space flight and the space exploration initiative.
You’ll Bring These Qualifications:
* U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident for access to USG Facilities.
* B.S. in Electrical, or Aerospace Engineering, or related disciplines required plus a minimum 5 years’ experience in two or more of the following four areas:
1. Power distribution system design and analysis
2. Battery stacks and Battery Management Systems (BMS)
3. Lithium-ion and/or related battery cell technologies
4. Electromechanical power conversion (high performance actuation, electric motors and motor drive electronics, etc.)
* Project based experience designing, building, testing, and troubleshooting power distribution electronics, battery systems, and other electrical hardware (requirements definition; system modeling and simulation; circuit analysis; PCB design, fabrication, and assembly; harness design and fabrication; requirements verification)
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, field-ready humanoid robots
* Flexible, open to new challenges in a dynamic environment, and possess strong technical expertise combined with strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to manage multiple priorities with little supervision.
* Highly responsible, team-oriented individual with strong work ethic.
* Highly developed coordination and organization skills.
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
* M.S. in Electrical Engineering with focus on power and / or battery systems.
* Hands on experience in the design, build, and test of robot hardware
* Successful track record of fielding custom electrical systems in an operational setting
* Familiarity with the Linux operating system and programming in C/C++ and Python
* Experience in the hardware design of embedded systems (microcontrollers, FPGAs, sensor interfaces, I2C/SPI buses, UARTS, etc.)
What We Can Offer You:
- We’ve been named a Best Place to Work by the Washington Post.
- Our employees value the flexibility at CACI that allows them to balance quality work and their personal lives.
- We offer competitive benefits and learning and development opportunities.
- We are mission-oriented and ever vigilant in aligning our solutions with the nation’s highest priorities.
- For over 55 years, the principles of CACI’s unique, character-based culture have been the driving force behind our success.
CACI employs a diverse range of talent to create an environment that fuels innovation and fosters continuous improvement and success. At CACI, you will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact by providing information solutions and services in support of national security missions and government transformation for Intelligence, Defense, and Federal Civilian customers. CACI is proud to provide dynamic careers for employees worldwide. CACI is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.