about 1 month ago
Space Robotics Electrical Embedded Systems and Software Engineer
Houston, TX US
CACI is looking for a Space Robotics Electrical Embedded Systems and Software Engineer to work with NASA at the Johnson Space Center to develop hardware and software for Intra-Vehicular Robotics (IVR). These systems will be used in smart astronaut habitats including Gateway, NASA’s next generation space station in Lunar orbit. Robots will assist and maintain these habitats while humans are exploring. This electrical engineer will also apply these technologies to provide enhancements to NASA humanoid robots.
Specifically, the most highly qualified candidate will apply experience in embedded motor controller software to interface with robotic actuators including series-elastic actuators, and robotic end-effectors. The task includes design of PCBs along with motor and actuator controllers to support automated fault detection, isolation, and recovery allowing for autonomous robotic operations. New designs will be supported from conception, analysis, and manufacturing, through operational test and deployment.
Eventual tasks may include digital system design, FPGA programming in VHDL, power electronics, and robotics controls.
What You’ll Get to Do:
This position requires a self-motivated, capable person with strong verbal and written communication skills who will have NASA interface responsibility working in support of our Nation’s space program. In addition to outstanding technical expertise, the individual must be very people savvy, have strong customer relationship skills, possess a positive team-player attitude, and be flexible and willing to take on new assignments and responsibilities as they arise. Finally, the most qualified candidate will be an articulate speaker able to communicate complex technical ideas in a convincing manner, must share our passion for our Nation's Space Program, and in the excitement of developing robotic systems for the next generation of robots.
This work takes place at NASA/JSC in Houston, TX, a highly stimulating and dynamic environment that is critical in human space flight and the space exploration initiative.
You’ll Bring These Qualifications:
* U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident for access to USG Facilities.
* B.S. in Electrical Engineering, or related disciplines required plus a minimum 3 years’ experience or M.S. in Electrical Engineering
* Must have experience in two or more of the following areas:
* Developing embedded software systems applications in C/C++ in a Linux environment
* Circuit design, simulation, and printed circuit board (PCB) layout
* Motor controllers
* Dynamic systems modeling
* Constant-flex PCB design
* Electromechanical power conversion (high performance actuation, electric motors and motor drive electronics, etc.)
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers designing and building world-class, field-ready robot systems
* Ability to manage multiple priorities with little supervision.
* Highly responsible, team-oriented individual with strong work ethic.
* Highly developed coordination and organization skills.
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
* M.S. in Electrical Engineering with focus on embedded hardware / software systems
* System fault detection, isolation, and recovery (FDIR) methods
* Modern software development methods using Agile, git, Continuous Integration, and Unit Testing
* Experience in the hardware design of embedded systems (microcontrollers, FPGAs, sensor interfaces, I2C/SPI buses, UARTS, etc.)
* EtherCAT field-bus systems.
* Familiarity with Robot Operating System (ROS)
* Familiarity with Python scripting
* Circuit design in Altium Designer
* A successful track record of fielding custom electrical systems in an operational setting
* Hands on experience in the design, build, and test of robot hardware
What We Can Offer You:
- We’ve been named a Best Place to Work by the Washington Post.
- Our employees value the flexibility at CACI that allows them to balance quality work and their personal lives.
- We offer competitive benefits and learning and development opportunities.
- We are mission-oriented and ever vigilant in aligning our solutions with the nation’s highest priorities.
- For over 55 years, the principles of CACI’s unique, character-based culture have been the driving force behind our success.
CACI employs a diverse range of talent to create an environment that fuels innovation and fosters continuous improvement and success. At CACI, you will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact by providing information solutions and services in support of national security missions and government transformation for Intelligence, Defense, and Federal Civilian customers. CACI is proud to provide dynamic careers for employees worldwide. CACI is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.