3 months ago
Software Safety Engineer
Specific Job Description
Understand the safety requirements of programmes, performing functional analyses and PE safety activities on Merlin Programmes as directed by LM leadership, and local direction of the Lead System Safety Engineer or Lead Software Engineer.
Undertake the following tasks:
* Conduct Safety Assessments such as Preliminary Hazard Analysis, System Hazard Analysis, Sub System Hazard Analysis, and Functional safety assessment
* Derive safety requirements, including PE integrity requirements
* Document Functional Safety Assessments
* Technical management of supplier PE Safety to ensure safety, compliance to standards and acceptance
* Document PE safety arguments and PE safety cases/PESS
* Review subcontract PE safety documents.
* Participate as required in Safety Committees.
* Plan and conduct PE safety audits, managing findings to closure
The role will not be authorized to provide services to Lockheed Martin, which are directly related to business development, acquisition, or sales efforts for a Lockheed Martin customer or potential customer. Any exception to this rule can only be granted, in advance, by the Lockheed Martin UK Business Practices representative or legal counsel representative.
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
United Kingdom (UK)
Established in 1991, Rotary and Mission Systems Integrated Systems (RMS IS), is a leading prime contractor and systems integrator responsible for a wide portfolio of high technology programmes, complex integration, training and through-life support, spanning the defence and civil sectors. The LM RMS IS business, a leading provider of systems engineering, software development and complex programme management for global security, cyber, civil and commercial markets.
This position is to work on the current and future Lockheed Martin UK Integrated Systems (LM UKIS) programmes, including Maritime programmes and the Merlin Programme. LM is looking to grow its current portfolio of Maritime programmes, and has recently been awarded the CROWSNEST upgrade to Merlin.
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
Working and current knowledge of:
* Defence and commercial safety standards such as Def Stan 00-56, Def-Stan 00-55, Mil Std 882, IEC61508, JSP 430, RTCA – 178C
* Project Oriented Safety Management System (POSMS)
* Safety Case development using the Adelard Safety Case Editor (ASCE)
* Hazard Management using eCassaadra
* Event Tree and Fault Tree development using Reliability Work Bench
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
* Application of current safety standards at the ‘systems integration’ level
* An understanding of the implication of derived safety requirements, including integrity requirements assigned to programmable elements
* Recent, relevant application of Def-Stan 00-56 and 00-55 in an aircraft prime contract/system integration environment
* Technical management of suppliers to achieve objectives to quality and on time
* Current auditing experience
The Safety Engineer will exhibit the following attributes:
• Be able to work on the task associated with the overall function without placing an excessive burden on the practitioner or expert.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
• Be a team player
* Be able to work at customer or sub-contractor sites with minimal supervision
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.