3 months ago
Software Automation Engineer
L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
Organized into 3 segments – Electronic Systems, Communications Systems and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Systems – L3 Technologies employs over 31,000 people worldwide with reported 2017 sales of $9.5 billion.
L3 Electron Tube Operations (ETO) – Tempe, Arizona, manufactures image-intensifying tubes for applications to a range of night vision products used by military and commercial markets. ETO’s aviator-grade Gen III and Next-Gen night vision tubes are used in weapon sights and goggle systems by governments, warfighters, police units and others that demand the most advanced and reliable image-intensified (I2) systems available.
Performs a variety of engineering work in the control, construction, integration, and maintenance of complex electro-optical, thin-film deposition, and vacuum systems. Emphasis will be on automation of the processing, including both electrical and motion controls, using both hardware and software. The hardware design aspects involve specifying robotic motion controls, mounting and wiring considerations, and thermal/power handling design. The software automation includes either embedded microprocessor/microcontroller firmware and/or PLC coding for customized controls, as needed. Specifying and using COTS controllers and equipment to supplement these designs will also be expected, where appropriate. Most equipment involves high voltage and vacuum design techniques and experience. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & BASIC DUTIES
* Collaborate with the Equipment Engineering Manager and departmental engineers to coordinate project requirements and communicate current status
* Charter and lead projects with Engineering Team to improve test or process equipment capability, increase availability and uptime, reduce cycle time and/or labor cost, and improve yields by eliminating handling related losses, as assigned
* Estimates, negotiates, monitors, and reports electro-mechanical automation design and development, integration and qualification schedules
* Creation of various types of documentation (for use in production) using a variety of tools, including engineering and production review and release. Familiarity with TeamCenter is a plus.
* Ability to professionally and effectively communicate is required. Written - use of multimedia tools for briefings, ability to write procedures and reports. Verbal - ability to provide briefings in small to medium size groups of technicians, engineers and management
* Conducts research and development activities concerned with the design, building, and testing of embedded electro-mechanical robotic systems, automated electro-optical and high vacuum thin-film deposition system monitoring and control.
* Design contributions include digital and analog circuit design skills and programming experience in multiple applications including DSP, embedded microcontrollers, electro-optical test (both illumination control and measurement), camera/video systems and image analysis. Will also contribute significantly to related mechanical aspects of the system designs, working closely with mechanical engineering support. Capability with using solid modeling and finite element analysis techniques expected as part of the design process, where necessary.
* Builds and tests prototypes of proposed Capital & IRAD funded electro-mechanical robotic, and integrated process control systems. This includes design and integration of electronic components with optical and video subsystems.
* Reviews and ensures designed products & integrated test systems meet specifications.
* The ability to present a detailed design description including both mechanical and electrical tolerance analyses in a peer, management and/or customer design review is necessary.
* Oversees special projects, purchases required materials, assembles and verifies operation, and coordinates validation testing in production environment.
* Ownership of equipment operation software documentation
* Attend and support relevant morning stand up reviews and weekly reviews with Manufacturing and/or Equipment Engineering Manager
Preferred Experience/Education Qualifications:
* B.S. in Electrical, or Computer Engineering is desired
* Experience in a similar position is required. Experience in Automotive, Biotech, Pharmaceutical, or Semiconductor is a plus.
* 5+ years of experience in the automation industry
* In-depth knowledge and application of engineering principles and concepts
* Proficient in Design/Drafting Tools as SolidWorks, Pro-E. Etc.
* Programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (e.g. Allen-Bradley, Siemens)
* Configuring and designing HMI/OIT systems (e.g. Allen Bradley, National Instruments, Maple Systems)
* Familiar with Industry Standards UL and CE
* Familiar with Vision Systems (e.g. Cognex, Keyence)
* Familiar with various Motion Controllers/Actuators (e.g. IAI, Yasakawa)
* Experience and skill in troubleshooting control system issues
* Develop electrical design, schematics and drawings in CAD
* Interpret mechanical design drawings for electrical requirements (e.g. SolidWorks)
* Research supplier products for assembly components
* Help establish new and maintain existing standards
* Develop electrical bill of materials
* Power up electrical systems and configure hardware per application specifications
* Check quality of assemblers and technicians work and respond to inquiries during assembly
* Design and develop software applications based on given requirements and specifications
* Understand project requirements for GUI/communication interface, networking and create specifications based on these requirements
* Review, repair and redesign legacy code
* Troubleshoot issues with existing systems
* Write user manuals to communicate functionality of company developed programs
* Technical writing including Software Management Plan
* Requirement Reviews – Participate in reviews and work with Systems Engineering to ensure proper implementation of features
* United States citizenship required
* Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
* Ability to effectively establish rapport and develop effective relationships
* Ability to effectively communicate orally and through written documents
Skills/Abilities: Leadership; Initiative; Persistence; Integrity; Coaching and mentoring team members; Critical Thinking; Time Management; Motivating Others; Judgment and Decision Making; Effective Communication; Attention to Detail; Adaptability/Flexibility; Effective Problem Solving
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
US Security Clearance Required
Day - 1st
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Jun 5, 2019, 6:24:40 PM
Email this job
To access this job from another device, Email this information to yourself.
Name should not be empty
Recipient’s email address
Email should not be empty
Please enter a valid Email
Email has been sent sucessfully
No locations found