2 months ago
Senior System Safety Engineer
Safety, Health & Environment (SH&E)
Aerojet Rocketdyne Coleman Aerospace is looking for a Senior System Safety Engineer for its Orlando, FL location.
The Safety Engineer is responsible for identifying hazards and proposing mitigations associated with the procurement, manufacture, assembly, testing, and operation of missile systems and support equipment. The ideal candidate will ensure that safety procedures and rules are followed on the manufacturing floor, as well as at the off-site assembly and processing areas.
The Safety Engineer must review documentation (e.g., customer contracts, engineering drawings, procedures) to establish and verify that product designs, plans, and procedures meet all applicable Safety requirements for fabrication, test, flight and life cycle disposal environments.
Will utilize a combination of commercial and in-house developed software tools (e.g. MS office), to gather technical documentation in support of all programs. May coordinate risk and opportunity management for development and production programs. Must interface with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., Engineering, Program Management, Production and external stakeholders). Will generate and submit documentation to customer, and support technical presentations.
Up to 15% Out-of-State travel required, with 35% in-state/local travel (primarily Orlando and Cape Canaveral).
This current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher depending on experience.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
50% - Evaluate program documents and resolve all safety issues.
50% - Implement and evaluate all System Safety programs including:
* Analyze and perform assessment on all safety hazards and recommend improvements to all engineering processes and ensure optimal integration of safety features.
* Coordinate with system engineering process for all user cases and identify all safety requirements and prepare required presentation for all safety evaluation meetings.
* Evaluate all system engineering documents and participate in test activities and ensure compliance to all safety requirements and evaluate all system engineering documents.
* Develop and implement all enterprise safety policies and coordinate with management staff to identify all risks and prepare reports for same.
* Evaluate all system safety requirements and coordinate with company engineers to maintain quality of all processes.
* Provide training to all personnel for all safety evaluation processes and oversee all program activities.
* Generation and maintenance of Safety Assessment Reports and Hazard Logs.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related discipline and at least 5 years of system safety related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the secret level (U.S. Citizenship required). Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
* Knowledge of MIL-STD-882 or equivalent System Safety methodology is required.
* Must be familiar with the generation and maintenance of Safety Assessment Reports and Hazard Logs.
* Must be confident and comfortable addressing safety behavior of all levels of personnel.
Must satisfactorily complete safety training courses for working in the vicinity of, handling, testing, and installation of explosive devices. Must be able to learn Microsoft Office Products (e.g. Word, Excel).
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Must be able to climb 25 foot vertical ladder and perform limited work/inspections at heights. The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds.While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels or with fume or airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, etc. requiring the use of personal protective equipment such as face protection (safety glasses, goggles, face shield), foot protection (i.e. steel toed shoes, rubber boots, etc.), gloves, hard hat, shop coat and hearing protection. Work requires the ability to change into or out of personal protective equipment when entering or exiting manufacturing, laboratory, or other areas. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. Work duties may also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer and/or the ability to travel by air or auto. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. This position may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!Click here to get started.
We consider the consistent demonstration of positive, cooperative, self-motivated, courteous and professional behavior to be an essential function of every position. While different positions have different primary areas of responsibility and technical expertise, everyone needs to work as a team, and we expect all employees to contribute as necessary to get the job done.
Unless otherwise stated in the requirements section of an individual job listing, our positions require U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency, or other status as a U.S. Person as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3).