4 months ago
Senior Strategic Buyer
Ampthill - Bedfordshire
Specific Job Description
An experienced Strategic Buyer with significant defence engineering industry background including direct engineering buying experience. Must be conversant with procurement contracts and terms as the role will not only be responsible for procuring complex build-to-print subsystems but also owning and managing their suppliers. Must have a high level of professionalism and capability to operate as an independent member within the team and so will need the ability to be a self-starter but also have the capability to work well with others.
Job Reference Number
Hours Per Week
United Kingdom (UK)
Lockheed Martin (UK) Ampthill is a rapidly changing, dynamic part of the Lockheed Martin Corporation with both domestic and international customers. It consists of three business areas focussing on Vehicles, Special Projects and Mission Support, which provide a variety of products and services to the MoD and other customers including the Warrior CSP, Scout and support to the Land Environment Air Picture Provision capability. It is exploring international opportunities and other markets such as civil space and energy. Ampthill has a 9 day fortnight standard working routine and flexible working is a possibility
Clearance Required for Role
Graduate, Intern or Apprentice Vacancy?
Required skills, qualifications and experience
* Excellent understanding of procurement best practice
* Knowledge of strategic sourcing and advanced procurement techniques/tools
* Strong experience within the defence industry.
* Proven Commercial and Contract Management skills
* Direct experience of the operational control of suppliers
* Proven Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) skills
* Excellent commercial skills with the ability to analyse and negotiate best-value agreements
* Excellent communication skills and the ability to effectively manage stakeholders’ expectations at a variety of levels
* Data literate with strong analytical skills
* Highly motivated, determined, and committed individual with a proven record of achieving cost saving targets/objectives
* Individual who thrives on challenges, and has experience working within a fast paced procurement function
* Understanding of related disciplines/departments within a design and manufacturing environment
* Capability to develop ingenious and creative solutions to complex problems, including supplier issues.
* Ability to work assignments without significant/appreciable direction
* Proficient in the use of MS Office applications
* Flexibility to travel as required
Desired skills, qualifications and experience
* Mechanical (fabrications/machined items) and Electrical (box-build, cables, components) buying experience
* Experience in the various phases of the product lifecycle from proposal capture, programme start-up, development, production, sustainment and end-of-life
* Flexibility to work at different levels of sub contract complexity (off the shelf, build to print, MOTs, and design to specification)
* Knowledge of the SAP ERP system
* Bachelors’ degree in a business/scientific/technical discipline
* Knowledge/experience of process improvement methodologies
Equal Opportunity Statement
Lockheed Martin recognises and actively promotes the benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. Discrimination on any of these grounds is expressly forbidden. We therefore welcome applications from all sections of the community.