7 months ago
Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 1,000 staff across eleven offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It’s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 80m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free, and our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer.
We’re seeking a technical hands-on engineering lead to join us and be part of our highly distributed global mobile engineering team. We have a mantra for scaling and as such this role will specifically focus on leading a squad in redesigning and leading the design and choice of technologies, as we develop our mobile-first, app strategy.
If you enjoy a hybrid role of technical leadership where you can utilise your experience to directly impact the growth and development of your engineering reports, alongside having influence across the wider Skyscanner business, this could be the place for you.
We’re building some really great tooling, with deploy pipelines out of the box to get moving quickly and exploring server side/hybrid rendering strategies for our iOS and Android apps as well as looking at ReactNative.
* Set technology standards and direct the execution of initiatives from inception through execution within the mobile space
* Provide transformational leadership working cross-functionally across Skyscanner. Work with the broader Engineering/Product organisation to drive change within the business
* Lead mobile technology innovation. He/She will be a critical member of the Engineering leadership team and will be expected to drive new thinking around how our technology can continue to scale, globalise and simplify
* Process optimization and discipline. Ensure the Tribe/Squads are operating at maximum efficiency without distracting from the ability to innovate and grow
* Planning and strategy. Provide leadership on strategic planning for the teams and the ability to forward plan in partnership with other teams across Skyscanner
* Execution at pace. Understand the resources available, the plan and the execution model
* Focus on continually evolving enablement/development, pushing business impacting development/functionality to market quicker
* Recruiting and retaining the best talent whilst strengthening cohesion and collaboration across the teams
* Previous job experience as a senior engineering lead in mobile or comparable, ideally within a product technology company.
* Strong experience in mobile technologies and languages, with sound knowledge of server-side components.
* Evidence of leading large organisations in complex technical scenarios to successful completion, resulting in significant business impact.
* Leading one or more groups with multiple teams.
* Product-oriented, customer-focused emphasis on rapid delivery of value to production.
* Comfortable balancing technical direction with the business value needed factoring into solutions multiple constraints such as scale, distribution, costs, users, patterns.
* You are an advocate for iterative software delivery and world class engineering, demonstrating best practice within mobile engineering.
* Strong leadership skills in attracting, retaining, and developing top tech talent and proven ability to successfully scale a growing team
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks you would expect from barista machines to massage chairs, to free food, holiday buying scheme as well as frequent townhalls with our CEO. What we really aim for is a place where people can thrive, be trusted to make impact and ultimately help us put our users first.
Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 80 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.