6 months ago
Senior Developer (Revenue Management Operations Research) (ext)
Post Begin Date
1 month ago(12/19/2018 12:25 PM)
We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
Are you a talented Software Developer wanting to make a direct impact on business? In this role you will have direct access to those making business decisions, and not just stuck at a desk. The Sr Developer will apply knowledge of software development and problem solving to build, update, and maintain scalable applications, datasets, and automated processes designed to unlock revenue generating opportunities, enable smarter decision making, and improve efficiency for the Revenue Management and Pricing Department.
* Demonstrate proficiency of languages associated with applications development (Kotlin, Java, Java Script) and business knowledge to debug, build, update, and maintain applications
* Demonstrate proficiency of languages associated with statistical analysis (R, Python)
* Demonstrate proficiency of IntelliJ IDEA Integrated Development Environment
* Demonstrate proficiency with the following technologies: Spring framework, web services, reactive programming, JavaFx, functional programming, test-driven development (JUnit)
* Demonstrate ability to scope, design, build and test business applications
* Ability to leverage programming design patterns
* Use Structured Query Language (SQL) to extract, manipulate, and create data in relational databases
* Proficient in designing and optimizing queries and table design across multiple database platforms (MySQL, Teradata, Oracle)
* Demonstrate proficiency with the following technologies: JDBC, Object-Relational Mapping (ORM)
* Perform database administrative activities, including user management, backups, and performance optimization
* Demonstrate proficiency with Windows batch files and bash scripts to automate tasks
* Ability to analyze, extract, and perform root cause analysis from log files (using RegEx)
* Perform basic tasks in Linux, such as file navigation/manipulation
* Proficient in creating cron jobs to schedule tasks
* Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Linux installation
* Leverage BI tools (Alteryx, Tableau, others) to quickly prototype reports and/or interactive data visualizations as minimum viable products
* Implement quality checks to ensure processes are running as scheduled and impact to performance is tracked
DEVELOPMENT LIFECYCLE ACTIVITIES:
* Understand and apply Agile best practices
* Create user stories
* Lead Team stand-ups/retrospectives
* Lead development/value estimation
* Design validation and verification testing
* Lead collaborative programming and code review sessions
* Demonstrate proficiency of Git concepts/commands
* Establish version control best practices
* Demonstrate ability to use Gradle for dependency management and artifact generation
* Administer continuous integration/automated build system (Jenkins)
* Demonstrated knowledge of concepts associated with Inventory Management and Pricing Strategy
* Understands relationship between Yield Management and Pricing Strategy and recommends new ways to maximize revenue
* Ability to understand complex business problems and translate them into application requirements
* Ability to design and build quick prototypes to prove viability of potential solutions
* Ability to see potential contradictions or constraints
* Anticipate how data/inputs are expected to grow over time
COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION:
* Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written correspondence) with technical and non-technical personnel
* Partner with business SMEs to define the business problem, objective of the tool/process, and end-user requirements
* Interacts with business SMES and PM for end user testing
* Present project updates, strategy decisions and new initiatives to Operations Research team and other SWA Leaders when appropriate
* Proactively communicates opportunities or issues with the business owner
* Utilize business knowledge to assist Technology Department and external vendors with development and maintenance of Revenue
Management applications and processes
* Collaborates with other departments and/or external vendors on cross-functional projects
* Communicates and documents applications and process to Technology department including data infrastructure design and maintenance
Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
May perform other job duties as directed by Employee’s Leaders.
* High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
* Must be at least 18 years of age.
* Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
* College degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Finance, Economics, Math, Business, MIS, Statistics or Engineering
* 3 to 5 years in Revenue Management --OR-- highly technical environment required
* Total of 5+ years combined experience in the following disciplines required:
* Experience interacting with relational databases required; (preferably in Oracle, Teradata, MySQL)
* Must possess the ability to Extract, manipulate and create data with Structured Query Language(SQL) AND Design and optimize queries
* Minimum 2+ years of working in an Agile/Scrum environment (or similar methodology) required
* Proficiency in the following technologies/concepts preferred:
* Source Control - Git
* Integrated Development Environment - e.g. IntelliJ IDEA
* Object-Relational Mapping (ORM)
* Spring framework
* Web services
* Reactive programming
* Functional programming
* Test-driven development (JUnit)
* Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
* Advanced knowledge of software development methodologies, concepts, and technologies
* Ability to work in a dynamic environment
* Ability to function under stress, meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks, and work as a team player with little supervision
* Demonstrated ability to interpret data, draw implications and modify approach required
* Takes ownership and accountability
* Willingness to take a position when rewards outweigh risk
* Views problems as an opportunity for improvement
* Demonstrates initiative, entrepreneurialism, and creativity
* Must be passionate about learning and problem solving with consistently demonstrated abilities in these areas
* Must be willing to work periodic evenings and/or weekends
* Must be able to clearly communicate meaning of complex principles and processes to all audiences both verbally and in writing
* Must be able to communicate accurately and concisely both orally and written in English
* Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
OTHER Preferred QUALIFICATIONS:
* Experience with Front End Development
* Software developer with experience with at least one of the following:
* Creating and/or designing user interfaces (UI)
* Designing user experiences (UX)
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Refer a FriendRefer
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us through our Talent Communities.
Interested in this career opportunity?