4 months ago
Senior Composite Rocket Motor Manufacturing Engineer (Insulation Layup, Molding and Cure)
Location : US-AL-Huntsville
Job ID : 13278
Zip : 35773
Category : Manufacturing and Production - Manufacturing Engineering
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader that provides propulsion and energetics to the space, missile defense, strategic systems, tactical systems and armaments areas, in support of domestic and international markets. We are bringing about 800 new jobs to Huntsville, Alabama and building a state-of-the art Advanced Manufacturing Facility (AMF). Defense-related program management, engineering and related support positions will also be housed in Huntsville, home of Aerojet Rocketdyne's Defense headquarters and Rocket Shop Defense Advanced Programs.
We are seeking experienced Manufacturing Engineers to work at our Advanced Manufacturing Facility (AMF) located in Huntsville, AL, which will be our inert manufacturing facility for fabrication and assembly of composite rocket motor hardware. Manufacturing Engineering team members specify, develop and transition manufacturing processes from development to production. This is a small dynamic team that requires motivated, self-starting individuals with hands-on experience. Manufacturing Engineers lead process management activities and create associated documentation for their assigned processes. They must be able to follow company procedures and requirements for the manufacture of advanced, man-rated, and high value aerospace hardware.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
This posting may represent one or more specific immediate or near-term openings. Those who express an interest may be considered for current and future positions primarily in Insulation Layup, Molding and Cure with experience in the following:
* Compression molding with rubber, molding compounds and/or prepreg;
* Surface preparation for primary substrates to bond rubber or composite;
* Hand layup and cure of insulation and other ablative materials;
* Autoclave programming and operation;
* Experience with operation and programming of Digital Cutting Tables is a plus.
This posting also represents a limited number of manufacturing engineering positions in:
* Composite Machining (machining of complex composites using CNC machines, manual machines and jigs);
* Filament Winding, Hand Layup and Cure (laying up composite parts and samples by hand, programming and operation of 4 or 5 axis filament wind machines and composite cure ovens).
* 60% - Plan, develop, initiate and maintain processes for the fabrication of advanced composite parts. Create detailed work instructions, procedures, PFMEAs, and JSAs that meet design, process, quality, safety, and environmental requirements. Provide shop floor support of advanced composite manufacturing processes.
* 30% - Provide technical guidance and/or training to shop floor, design and management teams. Analyze engineering drawings and specifications in support of developing robust and advanced part and tooling designs. Interface with all of the related support groups for processes to ensure accuracy, control and safety of the personnel and quality of the hardware.
* 5% - Perform investigations of nonconforming hardware and implement corrective actions to prevent future occurrences.
* 5% - Present fabrication processes at customer readiness reviews and present process changes to customers at change board meetings.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Aero Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline and at least five (5) years of related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience):
* Compression molding with rubber, molding compounds and/or prepreg strongly desired
* Surface preparation for primary substrates to bond rubber or composite required
* Hand layup and cure of insulation and other ablative materials required
* Autoclave programming and operation experience desired
* Experience with operation and programming of Digital Cutting Tables is a plus
Travel and Work Schedule:
To learn current manufacturing processes for implementation at the Huntsville AMF, manufacturing engineers will initially travel frequently to Sacramento for training. The duration of the training period at the Sacramento facility will be based the candidate’s experience and demonstrated expertise on the assigned processes. Travel to the Sacramento facility will be covered by either per diem expense policy or temporary duty assignment policy, based on the successful candidate’s preference as much as possible.
Occasional off-shift and weekend work required to support manufacturing schedules
US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. May also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.
We consider the consistent demonstration of positive, cooperative, self-motivated, courteous and professional behavior to be an essential function of every position. While different positions have different primary areas of responsibility and technical expertise, everyone needs to work as a team, and we expect all employees to contribute as necessary to get the job done.
Unless otherwise stated in the requirements section of an individual job listing, our positions require U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency, or other status as a U.S. Person as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the
interview process should e-mail the Human Resources Department at Accommodation Request.
Software Powered by iCIMS