9 months ago
L3 WESCAM is an exciting company providing systems that capture stabilized, high-magnification images from fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV, aerostat and ground based platforms. From low-altitude tactical missions to long-range covert surveillance missions, images are transmitted in real-time to fixed and mobile receive locations for immediate interpretation. WESCAM's MX-Series of Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR), laser, surveillance and targeting systems provide unparalleled image stability and long-range detection capability to Defense/Military, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. Our dominance of the airborne platform space has positioned us for explosive and game changing growth into ground-based markets.
WESCAM offers a challenging and dynamic work environment. Work with leading-edge technology and tools, alongside some of the best thought leaders in our industry, in an environment that values work/life balance. Benefits include every second Friday off with pay (9/80 work schedule) in addition to regular vacation and public holidays, free on-site gym, free fruit, free bagels on the last day of the week, a strong focus on continuing education and much more. Most of all, WESCAM is working towards a noble cause. Our work has a direct link to saving people's lives and safeguarding freedom around the world. We truly do make a difference in our work and in the world!
Learn more about the history of WESCAM...
Tasks to be Accomplished
* Participant in the General ownership of a L3 Wescam product – supporting MX Product Manager or assigned project leader.
* Key member of team responsible for the Management of product design integrity throughout its production life cycle (after full product launch)
* Identify, incorporate and coordinate change to the product base line. Provide support to the Technical Authority.
* Participate in and/or generate NRE estimates for sustaining product design changes
* Projects will address cost reduction, obsolescence or producibility concerns
* Participate in the management and/or technically manage the sustaining projects and provide monthly cost and schedule updates
* Ensure the engineering manpower database accurately reflects the sustaining engineering demand for your projects
* Engineering inputs need to be solicited from engineering line management as required
* Manage smaller level loaded sustaining engineering activities for designated product
* Support to the MX Product Manager for Accountable and responsible for product reliability
* Attend biweekly engineering reliability review meetings as required
* Support the monthly RIB meetings
* Provide input to select and develop reliability enhancement projects
* Participate in the management and/or technically manage the reliability engineering projects and provide monthly cost and schedule updates
* Monitor product MTBF with inputs provided from Systems Engineering.
* Support CSG repairs and upgrades
* Provide NRE estimates
* Participate in the management and/or technically manage upgrades and repair support
* Support tech pubs by providing updates on standard product configurations
* Provide product design support to systems engineering for all PMO or CSG driven changes
* Participate in ensuring that all design changes are validated and verified
* Contact person for Operations issues requiring quick turnaround action (investigation support or design changes).
* Manage small NPI, sustaining or reliability improvement project
* Accountable to the Engineering Product Manager
* Basic knowledge of the following
* Control system design
* Analog and digital video standards
* Connector and backshell selection per Mil-Std-38999
* IPC600 standard for PCB manufacture
* Servos, microprocessors, DC power distribution, switching power supplies
* Shielding, bonding, grounding and impedance matching principels
* Opto-mechanical design principles
* Basic knowledge of optical principles
* IR and EO Sensor Technology
* Optical testing
* MTRD, MRC, NETD, MTF, Boresighting, resolution measurements
* Able to generate and update design schedules using Microsoft project
* Able to generate test procedures, product specification and reports using Microsoft word
* An appreciation of software development tools
* RTEMS and vxWorks RTOS
* An appreciation of Electrical Engineering development tools
* Xilinx design tools
* Schematic capture tools, ORCAD, PADS, Allegro
* Layout design tools, PADS, ORCAD, Allegro
* An appreciation of Mechanical Engineering development tools
* CAD Design using IDEAS, AutoCAD
* Structural and thermal analysis – FEA
* Strong understanding of Vibration isolation and troubleshooting
* An appreciation of Testing methods – ESS, HALT
* Appreciation for EO Design tools
* Lens Design using CodeV or Zeemax
* EO Systems Analysis using Acquire and/or NVTHERM
Experience & Education Requirements
* Bachelor of Engineering Degree (Mech, EE, Engineering Physics, Software all appropriate degrees) or equivalent on the job experience
* 7+ years technical experience designing subassemblies for advanced surveillance systems
L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
**Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment.
* CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
: Day - 1st
: Division L-3 Wescam