5 months ago
Project Engineer (Certification Specialty)
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation (NASDAQ: ATRO) serves the world's aerospace, defense, and semiconductor industries with proven, innovative technology solutions. We work side-by-side with customers, integrating our array of power, connectivity, lighting, structure, interior, and test technologies to solve complex challenges. For 50 years, we've delivered creative, customer-focused solutions with exceptional responsiveness. Today global airframe manufacturers, airlines, military branches, completion centers, and Fortune 500 companies rely on the collaborative spirit and innovation of Astronics.
We offer our breadth of technology solutions and services through 11 subsidiary business units and numerous award-winning product brands. Serving our customers is our first priority, and every day we honor this mission with quality, partnership, and energetic global vision.
Astronics Connectivity Systems and Certification (formerly Telefonix PDT and Astronics Armstrong Aerospace) serves as the experienced, global market leader for in-flight entertainment and connectivity (IFEC) solutions for aircraft. As a systems certification provider, Astronics CSC has worked on over 100 projects for industry partners to upgrade commercial and business aircraft with new passenger power systems, IFEC navigation, communication and flight safety systems. Additionally, Astronics CSC offers proven IFEC hardware systems, flexible design platforms, high customer satisfaction, and long-term relationships with industry leaders to help make the connected aircraft a reality. The company now employs over 300 employees, and is a six-time recipient of Chicago’s Best and Brightest Employers to Work For award.
Responsible for developing and documenting basic certification strategy and compliance data required to support the installation design and certification of technology onboard commercial aircraft. Additional responsibilities include managing FAA ODAs and EASA DOAs, including their respective designees in support of Supplemental Type Certificate approvals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Identifies certification basis, researches and identifies required regulations, develops certification strategy to show compliance to these requisite regulations and documents compliance finding at the conclusion of the project. Monitors project progress to make sure the design and analysis activities support this certification approach/strategy.
* Works with mechanical design engineers, electrical systems engineers, project managers and analysis engineers to develop certification strategy.
* Actively develops and adapts creative and comprehensive certification strategies to show compliance with the required regulations.
* Actively assists project management and engineering team in solving internal and external certification-related challenges.
* Works in conjunction with ODA/DOA resources to develop all qualitative certification-related documents and deliverables.
* Manages and coordinates DER/DAR and/or ODA UM resources to support piece-part and installation conformities as well as article and aircraft test witnessing.
* Provides support and guidance for all compliance related testing. This may require onsite support during testing.
* Manages project and sub-level Master Data Lists (MDLs) and the integrity of the documentation listed therein until STC issuance.
* Coordinates the development and approval of article qualification test plans and reports with ODA/DOA resources and customers.
* Develop TPED Compatibility STC data packages.
* Perform and document TPED testing equipment interference analyses.
* Perform and document pre-TPED testing aircraft fleet configuration assessments to determine aircraft equipment test configurations.
* Perform and document component (LRU) comparative analyses based on HIRF and/or RTCA DO-160 test criteria and other LRU technical data.
* Act as project Certification Lead for projects STC and TC (linefit) projects.
* As project Certification Lead, work with the Certification Manager to assign, task, and plan resources to ensure all Certification Department deliverables are completed.
Education and/or Experience:
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering, or in a related technical and/or equivalent field.
* At least 2 year of experience in aviation/aerospace or similar industry.
* Strong technical writing techniques including outlining regulations and/or requirements and detailing substantiation of them.
* Strong analytic problem solving capabilities.
* Experience working in a regulated industry.
* Familiarity and/or experience working in a engineering/technical organization with strict document control processes and procedures and the ability to adhere to them.
* Familiarity with RF emissions from electronic devices.
* Masters Degree and/or experience in Systems or Industrial Engineering.
* Familiarity and/or experience with avionics, communication and/or navigation systems.
* Familiarity and/or experience with electro-mechanical systems.
* Familiarity and/or experience with electromagnetic interference.
* FAA DER/DAR qualifications.
* Familiarity and/or experience with Title 14 CFR regulations.
* 4 years of experience working with aircraft avionics systems a plus.
* Experience working with FAA ODAs.
* Experience working with EASA DOAs.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.