4 months ago
Principal Systems Engineer
Location : US-CA-Canoga Park
Job ID : 13570
Zip : 91304
Category : Engineering - Systems Engineering
Aerojet Rocketdyne is seeking a Principal Systems Engineer to join our facility in Canoga Park, CA (Los Angeles area). As a recognized authority in Systems Engineering with a strong background in space power electronics system design, you will develop solutions to unique and challenging problems in support of major company programs. Typically, the incumbent for this position has a thorough understanding of the product lifecycle management and engineering development “V Model.” Demonstrated experience in development of advanced products for airborne and/or space applications expected. The candidate must be able to evaluate customer mission requirements define functional, performance, and interface requirements at system, subsystem and component levels for an effective product design. He/she will be responsible for design and overseeing test and integration efforts to ensure design compliance with system functional and performance requirements. He/she is responsible for system trade studies. Experience with hardware and software technologies, electrical power conversion, DC/DC conversion, FPGA, space electronics design and qualification, EEE parts management, analog circuit design, circuit modeling, electromagnetic testing is highly desirable. Typical responsibilities include:
* Transformation of the stakeholder expectations into a definition of the problem and into a complete set of technical requirements at system, subsystem and component levels.
* Defining product breakdown structure and establishing requirements process flow for the system under development.
* Participate and direct system design and development at all stages of development lifecycle, requirements capture flowdown, preliminary design, critical design, product realization, design verification testing, system integration, qualification and certification.
* Plan methods of approach, define scope of the problem, evaluate data and define novel concepts and approaches.
* Anticipate technical risk and problem, define mitigation plans, stay abreast of technology advancement and be cognizant of the work of other peer group members at other companies.
* Plan, conduct and technically direct the efforts of technical support staff.
* Lead the product design team throughout the development lifecycle. Responsible for ensuring the fidelity of design solution to comply with stakeholder requirements and expectations.
* Lead engineering member in all program phase gate reviews with internal and external customers.
* On an as needed basis support the Marketing and Business Development teams in support of proposals.
* Serve as a technical advisor for the company in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principle and processes for an assigned area of responsibility.
* Strengthen the technical capacity of the company and facilitate transfer of knowledge and technology by mentoring less experience engineers and team members.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
Utilizing advance knowledge of technology principles, theories and concepts in the electrical, electromechanical, systems design, test and integration, and system qualification:
50% - Perform system design requirements and performance analysis, system trade studies, and provide system design solutions/concepts.
20% - Generate systems requirements document and review of test documents and validation and verification cases and procedures to ensure compliance and traceability to stakeholder requirements.
20% - Act as the technical lead on assigned program(s) to support internal and external customer reviews.
5% - Support marketing and business development and generate technical concepts and technical proposal volume.
5% - Travel to other Aerojet Rocketdyne, customer or supplier sites for design reviews and technical interface meetings.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Physics (advance degree preferred) with emphasis in electrical systems design and a minimum of fourteen years of directly related experience in systems engineering and product development or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
US Citizenship required. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit or stand and maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 pounds; may require occasional walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.
We consider the consistent demonstration of positive, cooperative, self-motivated, courteous and professional behavior to be an essential function of every position. While different positions have different primary areas of responsibility and technical expertise, everyone needs to work as a team, and we expect all employees to contribute as necessary to get the job done.
Unless otherwise stated in the requirements section of an individual job listing, our positions require U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency, or other status as a U.S. Person as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the
interview process should e-mail the Human Resources Department at Accommodation Request.
Software Powered by iCIMS