6 months ago
The position of Principal Development Engineer uses extensive past technical knowledge, computational tools, and industry expertise to define and develop new alloys, new products, new technologies, and/or new applications for existing products within the Metals Group. They provide technical support to manufacturing across multiple PCC facilities and to current or prospective customers in the form of data analysis, process recommendations, alloy recommendations, root cause analyses, and more.
• Mentor and coach less experienced engineers on process technologies, alloy development, and project management.
• Use computational tools to drive process optimization and rapid process & product development.
• In conjunction with Technical Sales & Marketing, define new alloy and/or new product development opportunities and develop business cases.
• Manage alloy/product development projects, ensuring adherence to timelines and budgets.
• Keep appropriate technical notes and data to enable and execute timely patent applications with assistance from counsel.
• Work with Operations personnel to develop production processes and procedures for new alloy/product during mill scale-up.
• Lead technical and operations teams through the initial production phase of the new alloy/product, including recording and tracking of yield and cost data. Make relevant changes to production procedures to reflect best practices.
• Develop and promote new alloy/products in the marketplace and with targeted customers.
• Work with and lead relevant industry technical committees to ensure new alloy/product gains appropriate approvals.
• Assist all outside sales representatives with technical information and data analysis.
• Manage and interpret customer requirements.
• Represent company at trade shows as the technical resource.
• Write and publish technical papers and provide technical presentations.
• Manage and direct Co-Ops, Interns and technicians.
• Provide technical assistance to sales and customers.
• Provide technical expertise to operations across PCC Metals Group.
• Lead teams or self-driven projects in yield, process control, and cost reduction initiatives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A BS and preferably an MS or PhD in Chemical, Corrosion, Mechanical, Materials, or Metallurgical Engineering.
• A minimum 10 years of experience working in nickel alloy metallurgy.
• Preferred extensive experience in alloy development and manufacturing with a repertoire of patents and/or publications.
• Strong preference for previous involvement on committees in relevant industry associations, including NACE, API, and ASME.
• Extensive knowledge of nickel alloy systems, strengthening mechanisms, elemental roles, and alloy applications.
• Excellent Communication skills is required (VERBAL for effective liaison and teamwork, PRESENTATION SKILLS to present findings to colleagues and customers, WRITTEN SKILLS for formal and informal communication of concise results in a public or internal forum).
• Problem-solving and analytical skills. Knowledge of statistics and black belt certification in six sigma and/or lean manufacturing is a plus.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on several tasks or projects concurrently.
• Commercial acumen and an awareness of the business value of work undertaken.
• The ability to work well independently, with minimum supervision.
• Relentless drive, enthusiasm and self-motivation.
• Excellent computer skills
• Attention to detail
• Relentless initiative and drive
• Great organizational skills
• The ability to explain design ideas and plans clearly
• Confident decision-making ability
• Excellent communication skills
• The ability to work within budgets and to deadlines
• Willingness to travel 5-30% of the time is desired.
• The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS – THE PHYSICAL DEMANDS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE THAT MUST BE MET BY AN EMPLOYEE TO SUCCESSFULLY PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
Frequently moves about the production facilities. Must be able to detect unsafe conditions from long distances.
WORK ENVIRONMENT – THE WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS DESCRIBED HERE ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF THOSE AN EMPLOYEE ENCOUNTERS WHILE PERFORMING THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THIS JOB. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid and dry/arid conditions. Frequently required the use of personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.