Cobham Special Missions has an exciting opportunity for a Principle Design Engineer - DAOS CDO. The role is to Manage the activities of the DAOS CDO, liaising with the MAA/TAA, internal and external Design Organisations with respect to the certification of modifications or repairs for fixed and rotary wing aircraft.
Shall oversee the product's or project's conception, design and initial product specifications and manage scheduling, estimating and completion of design data. Working primarily within the MoD 1000 and 5000 series Regulatory Articles, the role shall manage work authorisation forms raised by the MoD customer to modify the Air Systems operated under the contract(s), generate the Statement of Work for the modification, specifications per RA 1014 and to arrange for competent design organisations (approved per RA5850) to be contracted to design and to certify the modifications within their scope of approval and in accordance with RA 5850; this may include Cobham Special Mission's own Design Organisation.
- Financial acumen and project management skills shall be used to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery. The PCE shall also conduct engineering studies and investigations, and prepare reports for the DO leadership and Project Managers. They also provide engineering guidance to other departments, help to train new engineers and keep abreast of industry trends and issues.
- Preferably having or working towards CEng or similar.
- Work with customers and suppliers and integrate with Marketing, sales and project management.
- Compliance Verification Engineer for Mechanical and/or Avionics drawings and/or certification reports.
- This role is an integral part of Cobham Special Mission's Design Organisation.
- Lead the design team relating to particular projects including the delivery (on time and to the appropriate quality) of all relevant design and certification data.
This role is based in Bournemouth/Hurn
As a Principle Design Engineer - DAOS CDO your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Degree or HND/HNC or OND/ONC in mechanical or aeronautical engineering, or, 5 years related industrial experience (this should be evidenced by the employment history on the Applicant/job holder CV).
- Have a clear understanding of airworthiness, aircraft components and/or system design Requirements, materials and manufacturing processes.
- CAD proficient.
- Able to produce calculations in support of the design activity.
- A working knowledge of regulatory requirements, ie EASA, CAA, MAA.
As a Principle Design Engineer - DAOS CDO your responsibilities will include:
- Safety first. Operate at Special Mission in accordance with the SHE standards. Identify where the SHE standards are applicable to appointed operations/tasks and apply safe systems of work identified.
- Apply countermeasures identified in applicable risk assessment to appointed operations/tasks.
- Ensure that the requisite design documentation, in the form of drawings and supporting documents, are compiled in accordance with company procedures.
- Support the Head of Design, Principal Design Engineer and the Project Manager and Project team in the co-ordination, planning and control of the design data
- Liaise with the Office of Airworthiness on all matters relating to the initial and continued airworthiness of design changes.
- Compile design data as authorised by the Head of Design or Design Airworthiness Manager.
- Incorporate authorised changes/updates to design data.
- Maintain drawing and document registers.
- Act as or support the Design Focal engineer(s) in design review meetings, ie PDR, CDR, FAI etc.
- Regular liaison with internal/external manufacturing departments and suppliers to ensure any related issues are resolved and deadlines met.
- Work effectively as a key member in a team environment, liaising closely with in-house colleagues.
- Provide clear communication with Project Managers on the status of design programmes and ensure that problems impacting the design element are notified accordingly.
- Ensuring that the Air Systems and their equipment managed by the CDO meet the contract specification in accordance with RA 1014(1) 2a.
- Managing Design Queries per PP-09.
- Management and promulgation of the air system documentation set.
- Generating specifications for sub-system equipment for design by a subcontracted DO.
Cobham Aviation Services combines superior performance, extensive aviation knowledge and advanced technology to provide specialist aviation solutions to defence, government and commercial customers worldwide. We are proud to partner with leading organisations and suppliers to deliver high quality, innovative aviation solutions. Our expertise, speed to mobilise and flexibility enables us to consistently meet the needs of the most discerning customers.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Click here to find out more about us and or check out our LinkedIn company