3 months ago
Opto-Mechanical Designer -
About L3Harris Technologies
L3Harris Technologies is an
agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end
solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides
advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and
cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000
employees and customers in more than 130 countries.
is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who
are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared
dedication to our customer's mission and quest for professional growth.
L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower
employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an
unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to
excellence in everything we do.
About the Role
Our Opto-Mechanical Engineering
team is considered by many to be the best in the industry for 2 reasons.
1. They develop ruggedized optical
assemblies and systems on products that are relied on world-wide to
2. The gyro-stabilized optical systems we
develop take a serious beating, and every good opto-mechanical engineer
knows that assembly distortion is kind of a big deal relative to the
geometrical efficiency of the shape of a beam.
Opto-Mechanical Designer, you’ll have a dual focus: developing new commercial
electro-mechanical drive systems for our optical assemblies, and working on
complex prototypes for new products. You’ll be conducting data analysis and
assessments of in-lab results, ensuring that our opto-mechanical assemblies
meet our stringent temperature, size, weight and ruggedness parameters. You’ll
also be responsible for developing designs for a variety of novel subsystem
components and advanced systems mechanical assemblies.
* Actively participate in the mechanical
design of complex optical lens assemblies, including fixed focal length
and zoom lenses, from concept to production.
* Provide Opto-Mechanical Design expertise
and act as an Opto-Mechanics Subject Matter Expert across the
* Work closely with Optical Designers and
Manufacturing to achieve the best possible mechanical designs considering
all performance requirements, manufacturability & cost, for existing
and new lense.
* Actively support the manufacturing
organization and suppliers to ensure proper knowledge transfer, timely
resolution of design issues and effective test methodologies development.
* Collaborate closely with Product Managers
and other team members from Wescam Burlington Operations to support
estimates and ensure high quality of design solutions.
* Design, build and use precision mechanical
engineering test fixtures using modern methods to measure the performance
of opto-mechanical parts and assemblies.
* Generate design related documentation including BOMs,
part and assembly drawings, engineering studies, test reports, etc.
* Paticipate in and present results at design
review meetings related to modifications and new lens designs.
* Actively participate in the application,
maintenance and improvement of the Engineering design practices, processes
* Keep up-to-date knowledge of the Precision
Mechanics, Opto-Mechanical and Mechanical Engineering industries trends
and new technologies that may be relevant to Wescam’s business.
* Perform other duties as assigned by the
Manager, Opto-Mechanical Design.
* Knowledge of Mechanical Engineering, Fine Mechanics and
Opto-Mechanical design principles
* Proficiency with Mechanical 3D CAD software, Solidworks
* Proven ability to virtually prototype and analyze
complex mechanical designs before they are built and tested
* Basic knowledge of lens optical design and optical
* Proficiency in a Mechanical Engineering lab environment
* Knowledge of Structural Analysis and Finite Element
* Knowledge of electro-mechanical drive design principles
* Knowledge of machining, casting and sheet metal
manufacturing techniques and processes
Experience and Education
* Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical
Engineering or equivalent
* Professional experience in a similar role is preferred
* Graduate degree in a related field an asset
* Proven track record of leadership in CAD mechanical
* P.Eng designation considered an asset
Life at L3HARRIS
Our work environment is both
challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s
what you can expect as an L3Harris WESCAM employee
other Friday off (paid – with our rare 9/80 work schedule)
fruit and bagels
acres of forested land with hiking and biking trails in the heart of
balance that is supported
opportunities for growth and development
role at L3HARRIS WESCAM contributes to saving people’s lives
We believe that
diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to
diversity and inclusion within our L3Harris WESCAM family, and our community by
welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to
race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any
other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you
throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to
be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the
recruitment/interview process, or as you begin you career with us just let us
know and we will take care of you.
This job description is not
intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or
working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to
modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
: Day - 1st
: Division L3 Wescam