about 1 month ago
Opto-Mechanical Designer -
About the Role
Our Opto-Mechanical Engineering team is considered by many to be the best in the industry for 2 reasons.
1. They develop ruggedized optical assemblies and systems on products that are relied on world-wide to protect
2. The gyro-stabilized optical systems we develop take a serious beating, and every good opto-mechanical engineer knows that assembly distortion is kind of a big deal relative to the geometrical efficiency of the shape of a beam.
As an Opto-Mechanical Designer, you’ll have a dual focus: developing new commercial electro-mechanical drive systems for our optical assemblies, and working on complex prototypes for new products. You’ll be conducting data analysis and assessments of in-lab results, ensuring that our opto-mechanical assemblies meet our stringent temperature, size, weight and ruggedness parameters. You’ll also be responsible for developing designs for a variety of novel subsystem components and advanced systems mechanical assemblies.
At L3 WESCAM, we develop the most advanced and complex optical and sensor systems for global defense and military sectors, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement. From long-range covert surveillance missions to search and rescue operations, our MX-series systems, and the mission systems solutions they are a part of, produce stabilized high-magnification electro-optical and infrared images from airborne, marine and ground based platforms, enabling our customers to see farther and react quicker.
Learn more about what we do…
* Actively participate in the mechanical design of complex optical lens assemblies, including fixed focal length and zoom lenses, from concept to production.
* Provide Opto-Mechanical Design expertise and act as an Opto-Mechanics Subject Matter Expert across the organization.
* Work closely with Optical Designers and Manufacturing to achieve the best possible mechanical designs considering all performance requirements, manufacturability & cost, for existing and new lense.
* Actively support the manufacturing organization and suppliers to ensure proper knowledge transfer, timely resolution of design issues and effective test methodologies development.
* Collaborate closely with Product Managers and other team members from Wescam Burlington Operations to support estimates and ensure high quality of design solutions.
* Design, build and use precision mechanical engineering test fixtures using modern methods to measure the performance of opto-mechanical parts and assemblies.
* Generate design related documentation including BOMs, part and assembly drawings, engineering studies, test reports, etc.
* Paticipate in and present results at design review meetings related to modifications and new lens designs.
Actively participate in the application, maintenance and improvement of the Engineering design practices, processes and standards.
Keep up-to-date knowledge of the Precision Mechanics, Opto-Mechanical and Mechanical Engineering industries trends and new technologies that may be relevant to Wescam’s business.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Opto-Mechanical Design.
* Knowledge of Mechanical Engineering, Fine Mechanics and Opto-Mechanical design principles
* Proficiency with Mechanical 3D CAD software, Solidworks preferred
* Proven ability to virtually prototype and analyze complex mechanical designs before they are built and tested
* Basic knowledge of lens optical design and optical principles
* Proficiency in a Mechanical Engineering lab environment
* Knowledge of Structural Analysis and Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
* Knowledge of electro-mechanical drive design principles
* Knowledge of machining, casting and sheet metal manufacturing techniques and processes
Experience and Education
Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
Professional experience in a similar role is preferred
Graduate degree in a related field an asset
Proven track record of leadership in CAD mechanical design
P.Eng designation considered an asset
Life at L3 WESCAM
Our work environment is both
challenging and dynamic – our physical environment is state of the art. Here’s
what you can expect as an L3 WESCAM employee
* Every other Friday off (paid – with
our rare 9/80 work schedule)
* Free on-site gym
* Free wellness programs
* Free fruit and bagels
* Subsidized cafeterias
* Beach Volleyball courts
* 26 acres of forested land with
hiking and biking trails in the heart of Burlington
* Work/Life balance that is supported
* Real opportunities for growth and
* Everyone’s role at L3 WESCAM
contributes to saving people’s lives
We believe that
diversity among our employees makes us a stronger organization.
We are committed to
diversity and inclusion within our L3 WESCAM family, and our community by
welcoming and encouraging applications from anyone interested without regard to
race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, Aboriginal status or any
other legally-protected groups. For people with disabilities, we work with you
throughout the recruitment process to ensure you have what you need in order to
be at your best. If you require any accommodation for any part of the
recruitment/interview process, or as you begin you career with us just let us
know and we will take care of you.
L3 Technologies is a prime
contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and
Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a
broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial
platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime
contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial
customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
Organized into 3 segments –
Electronic Systems, Communications Systems and Intelligence Surveillance and
Reconnaissance (ISR) Systems – L3 Technologies employs over 31,000 people
worldwide with reported 2017 sales of $9.6 billion.
This job description is not
intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or
working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to
modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
: Day - 1st
: Division L3 Wescam