3 months ago
Job Description - Operations Engineering Manager, Systems & Test Engineering (101739)
Operations Engineering Manager, Systems & Test Engineering -
Requisition ID : 101739
CA-Ontario-Canada, North America
This Manager is a highly visible, people-centric leader, overseeing Systems and Test Engineering within an Operations Engineering team of highly skilled Engineers/Technologists. This leader’s focus is on system level Engineering with Electrical automation and development. Focus on projects that improve quality and reliability, in addition to on time delivery is essential. This person is integral to the overall success of Operations Team and is responsible for developing and implementing solutions for manufacturing.
L3 WESCAM is an exciting company providing systems that capture stabilized, high-magnification images from fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV, aerostat and ground based platforms. From low-altitude tactical missions to long-range covert surveillance missions, images are transmitted in real-time to fixed and mobile receive locations for immediate interpretation. WESCAM's MX-Series of Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR), laser, surveillance and targeting systems provide unparalleled image stability and long-range detection capability to Defense/Military, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. Our dominance of the airborne platform space has positioned us for explosive and game changing growth into ground-based markets.
WESCAM offers a challenging and dynamic work environment. Work with leading-edge technology and tools, alongside some of the best thought leaders in our industry, in an environment that values work/life balance. Benefits include every second Friday off with pay (9/80 work schedule) in addition to regular vacation and public holidays, free on-site gym, free fruit, free bagels on the last day of the week, a strong focus on continuing education and much more. Most of all, WESCAM is working towards a noble cause. Our work has a direct link to saving people's lives and safeguarding freedom around the world. We truly do make a difference in our work and in the world!
Learn more about what we do...
* Manage daily activities of your Operations Engineering function/team; establish performance standards; formulate staff development plans; coach and inspire staff; provide guidance and direction on problems and issues; delegate work assignments considering employee skills and development needs
* Identify, justify and deliver significant manufacturing continuous improvement and cost reductions
* Ensure manufacturing process optimization, capacity utilization, and waste reduction
* Provide leadership for lean strategies and activities
* Provide project management leadership through direct reports and others
* Coordinate manufacturing launch for new or revised products
* Drive the investments on new initiatives and other changes necessary to improve production efficiency, quality and operational safety
* Participate in Engineering design reviews
* Support all efforts and implementation of AS9100
* Manage department budget and perform capital expenditure analysis
* Focus on Operations Level KPIs and deliverables
* Lead a team of Operations Engineering Supervisors, each responsible for 6-15 Engineers/Technologists
* Ability to inspire a team in a growing and changing environment
* Must have Manufacturing Engineering experience in a high tech assembly environment
* Excellent knowledge of Systems, Electro-Mechanical Manufacturing and Process Engineering
* Excellent technical communication skills both verbal and written
* Ability to develop strong working relationships with related key managers and support staff
* Ability to assign priorities to tasks/ assignments so they are completed within the designated timeframe
* Must be well organized, goal oriented and able to give attention to detail
* Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills
* Experience in all areas of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and budgeting
* Experience in a large company environment
* AS9100 knowledge and experience an asset, but not required
Experience & Education Requirements
* Must have a well-rounded leadership background with Engineering experience in a high tech environment
* Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in a Manufacturing Engineering capacity at a Supervisor Level or higher
* Green Belt Certification or equivalent industry lean experience
Life at L3 WESCAM
This is the most important part. Many companies say that their work is ‘exciting’ or ‘challenging’, or that they work in a fast-paced environment. Perhaps our definition of those terms is slightly different – because we are one of the only companies in the world that produce what we do, have customers like we do, allow our employees to work on the kinds of things we do, and say with certainty that what we do every day directly contributes to protecting lives around the world.
What else can you expect as an L3 WESCAM employee?
* Every other Friday off
* Free on-site gym
* Subsidized gourmet cafeterias
* Free fruit and bagels
* Beach Volleyball courts
* 26 acres of forested land with hiking and biking trails in the heart of Canada, North America
* Free wellness programs
* Work/Life balance that is taken seriously
* Real opportunities for growth, development and career progression
* Everyone’s role at L3 WESCAM contributes to protecting people’s lives
L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
Organized into 3 segments – Electronic Systems, Communications Systems and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Systems – L3 Technologies employs over 31,000 people worldwide with reported 2017 sales of $9.6 billion.
L3’s ISR Systems Segment brings together a broad collection of some 20+ unique L3 divisions across 8 business areas to offer a diverse portfolio of innovative sensor and intelligence technologies across the maritime, land, airborne, space, cyber and warfighter domains. Comprised of 14,000 employees in 5 countries including in 15 states in 25+ locations, we are a global partner of choice delivering innovative capabilities to gather, share and protect intelligence for a more secure world.
L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
*Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment.
* CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
Schedule : Full-time
Shift : Day - 1st
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Organization : Division L-3 Wescam