3 months ago
Non-Destructive Testing - Principal Engineer
Location : US-VA-Culpeper
Job ID : 14913
Zip : 22701
Category : Quality & Mission Assurance - Quality Engineering
Aerojet Rocketdyne is seeking a Non-Destructive Testing, Principal Engineer.
The successful candidate will be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and Technical Leader in Non-Destructive Testing with a demonstrated track record of technical expertise and NDT technology implementation and execution to deliver successful products. A Non-Destructive Testing Principal Engineer, Subject Matter Expert (SME) implements new and enabling technology, identifies and mitigates risks, resolves issues, and serves as a role model and mentor for the next generation of NDT technical leaders. Position leads NDT improvement initiatives and drives NDT standards that align with AR business demands.
This NDT Principal Engineer (SME) position requires in-depth expertise of non-destructive testing (NDT) methods and applications including radiography, penetrant inspection, ultrasonic and eddy current testing. They have a history of applying technical knowledge and expertise to identify, develop and implement solutions for the resolution of technical challenges. Ability to interface with other non-destructive testing subject matter experts and design engineers to facilitate "design for inspectability" as it relates to NDT is essential. As members of the Technical Leaders Network, SME will often be called on to collaborate with other disciplines to identify, define, develop and implement technology to improve AR products and competitiveness in their area of specialty. SMEs will be called on by Chief Engineers, other disciplines and management to provide unique expertise from their technical discipline area in support of planned work, technical challenges, and review critical technical material. They have the ability to apply expertise through processes, tools and product knowledge.
The successful candidate:
* Provides technical & strategic leadership for the Non-Destructive Testing Center of Excellence (COE) team.
* Proactively seeks to uncover and resolve highly complex NDT and inspection issues associated with the development and implementation of quality programs across the enterprise.
* Actively works to develop NDT process ownership and improve quality methods and processes to make non-destructive technology solutions more efficient and results more repeatable.
* Oversees and actively manages Aerojet Rocketdyne NDT capabilities (facility & skills) and assures capabilty and capacity is available to satisfy existing and future forecasted demands.
* Establishes system design criteria and incorporates facility considerations to meet manufacturing requirements for capacity and capability.
* Supports emerging technologies application and development.
* Actively supports the organization’s Review Board establishing policies and procedures with guidance and support for other organizations.
* Serves as a resource to management in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles and processes of NDT.
* Works with the team from the COE to identify top issues and develop risk-based countermeasures.
* Solves unique NDT engineering problems in unprecedented ways. Makes an active contribution to continuous improvements in quality processes of the Company via leadership and participation in project teams and implementation of new initiatives.
* Strengthens the technical quality engineering capacity of the organization and facilitates the transfer of knowledge by mentoring less experienced quality engineers and team members.
* Actively contributes to the extension and preservation of the Company’s Intellectual Property.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
The successful candidate will perform the following duties and activities:
60% - Proactively seeks to address and resolve highly complex NDT and inspection issues associated with the development and implementation of quality programs across the organization.
20% - Propose and implement improvements to NDT technical processes and continue to address opportunities for new and related enabling technologies.
20% - Interface with customers and their senior technical staff as the AR NDT technical expert to support current programs and enable new program success.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and at least 14 years of directly related experience (20 years of experience preferred).
The successful candidate is expected to have excellent oral and written communication skills, be able to interface effectively with senior technical staff and all levels of management. The successful candidate is also expected to capture and transfer knowledge in this critical field to the next generation of NDT technical staff to maintain AR's competency. They should have a record of participating in conferences, seminars, technical exchanges (internal or external) and/or committees.
US Citizenship required. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
* Advanced degree or specialization in engineering or closely related discipline.
* NDT Level III certification (ASNT, NAS-410) (RT Level III (CR & DR) required).
* Experience with Computed Tomography (CT) is highly desired.
* Minimum of 20 years of experience (credit given for advanced degrees).
* Recognized as a leader and technical expert in defining & executing Aerospace and Engineering NDT initiatives.
* Demonstrated achievements in implementing new capabilities and solving challenging problems.
* Demonstrated track record of knowledge sharing, mentoring, and coaching.
* Recognized involvement or membership in key professional society technical committees (e.g. AIAA, ASME, ASQ) or govt advisory boards.
* Demonstrated excellence in written communication through technical participation in conferences and NDT / Quality industry forums.
* Recognition as a technical expert in the NDT/Quality Engineering community and membership in key professional society technical committee.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit or stand and maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 25 pounds; may require occasional walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization. Depending on the location of the position, visual certification requirement may apply.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.
We consider the consistent demonstration of positive, cooperative, self-motivated, courteous and professional behavior to be an essential function of every position. While different positions have different primary areas of responsibility and technical expertise, everyone needs to work as a team, and we expect all employees to contribute as necessary to get the job done.
Unless otherwise stated in the requirements section of an individual job listing, our positions require U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residency, or other status as a U.S. Person as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the
interview process should e-mail the Human Resources Department at Accommodation Request.
Software Powered by iCIMS