2 months ago
BR&T Materials & Manufacturing Technology is looking for an engineer with Mechanical/Robotics/Mechatronics/Controls/Electrical engineering background to advance research projects into composites manufacturing and assembly for our Composites Fabrication Technology group. These projects focus on improving and developing technologies for fabricating and manufacturing composite aerospace components, such as Automated Fiber Placement, laying up and forming, material handling, assembly and inspection of composite parts. Emphasis on many of these projects is on using robotics and custom automated equipment to automate these operations.
The successful candidate will:
* Be energetic, driven and handy in the lab.
* Be able to work under general supervision with no instructions for routine work and able to work special projects with minimal instruction.
* Have experience in mechanical design and electrical/controls design of industrial equipment, 3D solid modeling, robotics, and laying up composite parts using Automatic Fiber Placement (AFP).
* Have basic computer programming experience plus specific experience programming industrial equipment with PLCs and other controllers using Ladder Logic, Sequential Flow Charts, C++, scripting and Labview programming languages is preferred.
* Have experience working with various automation communication protocols, including Profinet, Ethernet/IP, Ethercat, TCP/IP, Modbus and RS 485/422/232.
* Have experience with NI Labview FPGA and NI CompaqRIO real-time systems is highly desired.
* Have experience with KUKA Robotic systems and programming languages for controlling motion of robotic end effectors over complex contoured surfaces and communicating between multiple subsystems.
* Have a solid background in mathematics with demonstrated capability of manipulating spacial orientation and developing complex transforms for contour following automation projects.
* Have a background in low-power (<50VDC), electrical control and automation systems.
* Possess excellent hands on skills with a multitude of mechanical tools and equipment.
* Be a critical and innovative thinker.
* Be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
* Be adaptable to changing work statement and is flexible.
* Be flexible and be willing to learn new skills.
* Have working knowledge of composite manufacturing in addition to solid modeling and robot programming is highly desired.
* Have a strong mechanical aptitude
Developing custom automated equipment
Designing robot end effectors and manipulators
Laying up composite parts using automated fiber placement system
Transition of innovative composite fabrication technologies to support 787 production
Projects will involve taking an idea from concept through to fabrication, assembly, programming and testing
The selected applicant will design & develop robot end effectors, develop custom automated and manual equipment, and program robots and AFPs. He or she will contribute to the completion of specific project milestones; and his or her results, decisions, and recommendations will be used to ensure that the projects stay on-time and on-budget. This position is heavily focused on research and development.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Engineering Test and Tech
Relocation Assistance Available
No. Relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience):
* Bachelor's degree or higher in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills and Experience):
* Experience in the following specialties:
* Mechanical design (CATIA preferred)
* Robot programming (Kuka and Universal Robot preferred)
* PLC design and programming (Siemens, Allen-Bradley and Beckhoff)
* Computer programming (C++, Java, Python, Matlab, etc.
* Low-power (<50VDC) electrical control design
* Composite manufacturing
* Automatic Fiber Placement (AFP)
* Experience in a lab/machine shop/controlled contamination environment.
* Comfortable with using hand tools and machine shop equipment.
* Basic electrical wiring and panel building experience.
* Experience designing motion control systems such as linear actuators and servo motors is also highly desired.
* Experience with composite fabrication.
* Ability to work with a team of MP&P employees to meet safety, schedule, cost, quality, and technical commitments.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 5 or more years' experience, Master's degree with 3 or more years' experience or PhD degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Contingent Upon Program Award