3 months ago
United States of America
CAN03: Carrier-Charlotte, NC 9701 Old Statesville Road, Charlotte, NC, 28269 USA
Embedded Firmware Manager Job Description
Carrier is the world’s leader in high-technology heating, air-conditioning and refrigeration solutions.
Carrier is looking for a highly motivated and results driven individual to work with the Commercial Engineering team in Charlotte, NC. We are searching for a firmware engineering manager to lead a team in the conceptualization, design, development, testing and validation of control and operational firmware for HVAC systems. The selected individual will possess broad experience in the development of embedded control systems (mostly embedded Linux on touch screen displays) and have a track record of successfully leading firmware development teams both as direct reports and in a matrix organization.
As the firmware manager for the group you will provide leadership and knowledge to the firmware development team during all phases of the product development from requirements gathering to product launch. The firmware manager position is a critical position that works closely with product development engineers, SQA teams, product managers, program managers and other organizations to develop products that fulfill customer, manufacturing, service and regulatory requirements. The main responsibility of the firmware manger will be to manage the day to day activities of the group to ensure that the firmware development process delivers a high quality product that meets defined requirements. The firmware manager will also participate in broader long term strategic development initiatives and in process improvement activities to increase the efficiency of the group as a whole.
We are seeking a high energy, self-starter for a Software Firmware Manager for commercial HVAC programs. This position will be located in Charlotte, NC. This position will be accountable for the following:
* Technical leadership
* Accountability for project firmware development deliverables and development from conceptual design to production.
* Manage and resolve technical and programmatic development conflicts among stakeholders impacting the firmware development team
* Provide day to day technical guidance and mentorship for group members as needed.
* Ensure technical reviews of firmware to support development process and ensure technical integrity of firmware deliverables
* Participate in program team meetings to communicate firmware development status.
* Project management
* Assist your project managers with scoping, identification of project deliverables, and creation of project-specific documentation such as functional specifications, technical specifications, etc.
* Create firmware work break down structures for specific projects and assign to team members for development
* Assist product development teams by preparing and presenting required information at business reviews.
* Group management
* Manage headcount, deliverables, schedules, and costs for multiple ongoing projects, ensuring that resources are appropriately allocated and that goals, objectives, timelines, and budgets are met in accordance with program and organizational roadmaps.
* Provides direct supervisory functions for group members, including hiring, setting and monitoring of annual performance plans, coaching, and career development.
* Ensures that talent and career development plans are in place to support team member skillset development.
* Product development
* Participate in product development activities by contributing ideas, concerns, risk analysis and mitigation as required
* Ensure that proper process and methodologies are followed during firmware development.
* Continuous improvement
* Actively participate in process improvement activities to improve the quality of the products delivered by the organization
* 2+ years of experience in a people manager role
* 7+ years of experience in embedded firmware development
* Strong leadership skills, including coaching, team-building, and conflict resolution.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills
* Possess a willingness to partner with teams across geographies and cultures to drive workforce development and achieve desired results.
* Proven repeated experience with full life cycle development (design, coding, testing, etc.) of embedded control systems (hardware, firmware & RTOSs).
* Experience specifying and implementing firmware architectures in terms of components, interfaces and APIs.
* Experience with firmware design process both in Agile and waterfall methodologies
* Experience decomposing complex firmware systems into components and interfaces, creating work break down structures and work packages for development team.
* Knowledge of HVAC systems a plus
TYPICAL EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
* Bachelors of Science in Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
* Master’s degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science a plus.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.