4 months ago
Metallurgical Engineer I
Join a team recognized for leadership, innovation and diversity
Honeywell Aerospace Materials Engineering (MatEng) is seeking a Materials and Process Engineer I for the Clearwater, FL facility to support both local design and manufacturing activities as well as global Aero MatEng activities. This is a challenging, multi-dimensional role that requires the individual to perform at a high level while working multiple concurrent task assignments. The role combines a hands-on role in the laboratory with an engineering role to support the manufacturing and design of guidance and navigation systems for both space and ground applications.
In the hands-on role, the candidate will operate a wide variety of analytical equipment used to support receiving inspection of production materials, as well as engineering evaluations and failure analysis of Electronic materials. The candidate is expected to be self-motivated and support day-to-day operation of the Metals lab, including scheduling daily activities, developing & performing test processes and working with lab technicians and Senior Engineers to provide guidance and oversight to the technical staff. In addition, they will provide interpretation of data/results to internal customers. As they develop, they may take on work in additional lab areas such as Magnetics or Metal Finish.
In the engineering role, the candidate will execute various projects to meet customer needs. Examples would include supporting site programs in limited-scope problem investigations, performing drawing reviews, specifying appropriate materials and processes as part of product design to ensure those meet both customer flow-down and internal Honeywell requirements, participation in multi-disciplinary technical teams and generational of technical reports.
The successful candidate will be expected to use their metallurgical knowledge to develop into a technical resource for solving the unique metallurgical issues associated with electronics manufacturing for space & defense guidance and navigations systems. They are also expected to develop in expertise in one or more core process areas such as printed board manufacturing, printed board assembly and soldering, cable and wire harness assembly, conformal coatings, adhesives and adhesive bonding, mechanical assembly, metal finishing, castings, welding, brazing, composites, paints, and electromechanical components manufacturing. In this role, they will develop into a technical expert, performing technical audits at suppliers and internal manufacturing sites and helping to resolve findings from those audits.
Apply prescriptive methodology to project tasks
Collaborate with engineering teams
Perform specification review
Exchange task level information
Communicate non-compliance incidents
YOU MUST HAVE
* Bachelor’s Degree in Metallurgy or Material Science (with Metals Specialty)
* 1 year lab experience with metallographic sample preparation techniques, including, potting/sectioning, grinding/polishing, metallographs, hardness testing and digital microscopy
* Experience with Electronic Materials and Processes, including soldering, solder metallurgy, Printed Boards(PB), Printed Board Assemblies (PBA) and Cables & Harness Assemblies (C&H)
* Experience with Failure Analysis Processes for Mechanical and Electrical Components
* Experience in Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
* Hands-on experience in other analytical tools such as FTIR, GC/MS, DSC, TGA, etc.
* Experience in Magnetics and Metal Finish
* Experience in Corrosion science
* Experience with Aerospace Materials & Processes
* Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
* Be well organized, detail oriented, and able to drive tasks to closure while working in a team environment
* Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project
Must be a US Citizen due to contractual requirements.
Careers at Honeywell - Engineering
* Continued Professional Development
* 1st Shift
* Relocation Provided
* Job ID: HRD57394
* Category: Engineering
* Location: 13350 US Hwy 19 N, Clearwater, FL 33764 USA
* Must be a US Citizen due to contractual requirements.
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.