11 months ago
Mechanical Engineering Manager
About the Organization
Astronics Corporation (NASDAQ: ATRO) serves the world's aerospace, defense, and semiconductor industries with proven, innovative technology solutions. We work side-by-side with customers, integrating our array of power, connectivity, lighting, structure, interior, and test technologies to solve complex challenges. For 50 years, we've delivered creative, customer-focused solutions with exceptional responsiveness. Today global airframe manufacturers, airlines, military branches, completion centers, and Fortune 500 companies rely on the collaborative spirit and innovation of Astronics.
We offer our breadth of technology solutions and services through 11 subsidiary business units and numerous award-winning product brands. Serving our customers is our first priority, and every day we honor this mission with quality, partnership, and energetic global vision.
Mechanical Engineering Manager (PECO)
Astronics-PECO, located in Clackamas, Oregon, designs and manufactures highly engineered commercial aerospace interior components and systems for the aerospace industry. We specialize in Passenger Service Units (PSUs) which incorporate air handling, emergency oxygen, electrical power management and cabin lighting systems. We also manufacture a wide range of fuel tank access doors that meet stringent strength, fuel sealing and anti-corrosion requirements.
The purpose of this position is to manage the Mechanical Engineering Group while leading technology efforts, complex technical design projects and supporting new and existing products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Includes the following duties and others as assigned.
* Manages and directs all Mechanical Engineering personnel.
* Responsible for managing the budget for the Mechanical Engineering group.
* Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of Mechanical Engineering Staff.
* Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
* Ensures adequate tools and infrastructure are in place for the Mechanical Engineering group to be successful.
* Responsibilities include:
* Technical capability assessment of existing and new employees.
* Interviewing, hiring, and training Mechanical Engineering staff.
* Staffing planning, directing work and appraising performance.
* Reward and corrective action as necessary.
* Addressing complaints and resolving issues.
* Motivating staff to maximize performance.
* Teams with Business Development to identify new product opportunities, proposals, business plans and project budgets.
* Leads the Mechanical Engineering aspects of all New Product Development (NPD) initiatives.
* Leads design review sessions to discuss technical performance, risk, cost and schedule.
* Technical expert in at least one of the following areas: plastic injection molding; metal part design, fabrication and processing; or aircraft structures design.
* Identifies new materials, processes and components to utilize in NPD initiatives, product-line life extensions and alternate sourcing efforts.
* Supports Customer Service in addressing requests for product improvements.
* Approves the Mechanical Design of NPD initiatives.
* Manages and assigns resources to assure Technical Data Requirement submittals are timely and accurate.
* Leads activities across groups and across products to ensure product inter-operability and compatibility with other projects.
* Evaluates and approves design changes and drawing releases.
* Manages Weight tracking and metrics for all NPD efforts.
* Tracks technical progress and provides updates and status to Management.
* Provides engineering expertise in the areas of tooling, drawing requirements and interpretations, specifications, product maintenance, raw materials and vended products.
* Collaborates with Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Tooling Engineering to develop the most cost-effective design that meets the customers' requirements.
* Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
This position may require knowledge of SOX / 404 internal audit controls and related documentation and this position may be responsible for the performance of various functions that may be an integral part of the Company's overall SOX / 404 internal control structure.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experiences:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below each are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical, Aerospace or Systems Engineering, or equivalent is required.
* Demonstrated expertise in new product design and development is required.
* Ability to develop a strategic vision for a product design team and new product development is required.
* Proven expertise with a variety of CAD applications; Solidworks and CATIA V5 is preferred.
* Strong project management skills including the ability to guide and direct technical personnel is required.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
* Ability to make technical presentations is required.
* Strong general computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office applications is required.
* Aerospace product design experience strongly preferred.
* Previous experience in managing a small engineering team is preferred.
* Ten (10) or more years of related experience in aerospace or related industry is preferred.
* AS9100 standards experience is preferred.
* Strong understanding of high volume manufacturing is preferred.
* Experience in mechanical and electrical system integration, assembly, and testing is preferred.
* Experience in design for plastic injection molding, CNC machining, and metal die casting is preferred.
Astronics-PECO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.