7 months ago
Mechanical Engineering Analyst
L3 Fuzing & Ordnance Systems
Mechanical Engineering Analyst
We are a company of innovators, game changers and entrepreneurs. As a prime contractor, we provide a broad range of communication, electronic and sensor systems used on military and commercial platforms across the globe. We embrace innovative and progressive ideas to advance our products for military and commercial customers. The Electronic Systems Segment (ESS) provides a broad range of aerospace systems, security and detection systems, and pilot training.
L3 Fuzing & Ordnance Systems (L3 FOS) is the largest fuze manufacturer in the United States and is one of the most advanced manufacturers of Fuzing and Ordnance products in the world.
Primary Job Function:
* Applies Mechanical Engineering principles to perform Finite Element Analysis ( FEA ) on products ensuring design requirements are met.
* Serve as lead analyst on various programs holding the responsibility for ensuring the structural integrity of our products.
* Prepare & present FEA reports to customers, both internal and external.
* Identify & prepare material testing requirements to develop constitutive material models for analysis.
* Perform FEA in accordance with L-3 Fuzing & Ordnance guidelines.
* Perform hand calculations to check/verify FEA models.
* Help maintain FEA Team intranet site and FEA request system as well as related materials and tools.
Secondary Job Function:
* Applies mechanical engineering principles to components, subsystems and systems, including assembly, analysis, testing and documentation; construction of developmental assemblies, sub-assemblies and components.
* Support and maintain the L-3 product lines during the design and production build processes as a hands on engineer.
* Expected to lead failure investigations where appropriate related to design, production build processes, and customer returns.
* In addition, lead efforts to drive improvements, increase product reliability and lower production costs.
* Production support includes but is not limited to test fixture and tooling designs, product trouble shooting, document and drawing updates, process control improvements, development of custom customer solutions, and product design improvements.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Conduct finite element and failure analysis
* Perform engineering analysis of products to show compliance to internal guidelines, DoD requirements and customers' specifications. Various CAD/CAE tools will be used for this.
* Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office ( Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint )
* Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform basic engineering tasks using ANSYS, HyperMesh, LS-DYNA, CTH, MATLAB and/or Mathcad.
Design / Production Support:
* Investigate and test vendors' components, perform design selection
* Modify existing designs for new applications
* Create documentation of design / product – drawings, specifications, compliance matrices, test plans and test reports
* Assist with generation of work instructions and inspection plans ( applies for all levels )
* Fluent understanding of GD&T ( geometric design and tolerancing ) – Mechanical Engineer only
* Participate in and prepare materials for internal design reviews (IDR)
* Understand configuration management as it applies to product documentation
* Create design verifications
* Lead program team
Our Values are an integral part of who we are. We seek candidates who share our values:
* Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering required.
* 5-8 years of relevant engineering and analytical experience required ( 3-6 with MS degree ).
* Proven success with analytics using implicit & explicit codes required. ( ANSYS, HyperMesh, LS-DYNA, CTH etc. preferred .)
* Solid understanding of engineering mechanics, fatigue, plasticity and nonlinearities (materials, contacts and geometric) required.
* Solid understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer as well as dynamics and vibration ( time-domain and frequency domain ) required.
* Ability & willingness to be adaptable and accept feedback as part of our peer review process.
* Ability to obtain a Secret Security Clearance
* Knowledgeable in DoD and MIL standards/specifications.
* Knowledgeable in engineering materials and 3D printing.
* Experience using CAD software such as Solid Edge, SolidWorks, NX etc.
* Master's of Science in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
SAVING LIVES AND MAKING THE WORLD A SAFER PLACE TO LIVE
L3 Technologies, Inc. is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3 provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. L3 maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.
US Security Clearance Required
Day - 1st
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Division - Fuzing & Ordnance-20000055
Dec 10, 2018, 8:26:50 PM