Morson International have an exciting opportunity for a number of experienced Mechanical Engineers to join a leading defence company on an initial 10-month contract at their site in Bristol. Working on a range of submarine systems in support of the Astute programme, this role would ideally suit individuals with prior experience on Naval Defence projects. Previous experience working on submarine projects would be a distinct advantage.
Please see below for details:
Pay Rate: £35.00 - £45.00 per hour LTD
Duration: 10 Months
Location: Keynsham, Bristol
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will undertake engineering investigations, design changes and associated project management of engineering projects in the maintenance of the design intent and availability of In-Service Submarine Flotilla, with a focus on Submarine Ship & Propulsion Systems. You will act as Task Owner for the specification, planning, execution and delivery of specific submarine design support / design change tasks, as allocated by the Team Leader - Mechanical, to the required standard(s), time scales and budgets.
* Conduct investigations and/or design studies as required by the Submarine Enterprise with a specific focus on submarine secondary propulsion systems and shipside service systems.
* Developing and or maturing technical solutions and associated specifications and technical reports in order that the required design changes can be proposed and progressed.
* Conducting design and safety reviews in order to identify the technical and safety risks.
* Conducting on board inspections and assessments (operational and in maintenance).
* Project managing sub-contractors in the execution of specific tasks that require specialist or OEM support.
* Producing reports and recommendations that detail the proposed solution and or way ahead which will give consideration to priority, programme and budget.
* To directly liaise with the customer and other MOD project officers, as authorised, to identify the technical issues, discuss potential solutions, review recommendations, conclusions, provide general advice and report progress.
* To manage sub-contractors in the conduct and progress of their contracts and provide technical acceptance of their deliverables.
* To liaise with other departments to ensure that cross-Platform integration issues and Safety aspects of any design support / design change tasks are addressed.
* To provide technical support on design aspects to other Engineering Services projects and the wider Submarine Enterprise Teams as directed by the Mechanical Manager.
* To apply and work to objectives and targets as set by the Team Leader - Mechanical.
* To notify the Team Leader of any issue with the potential to affect contractual and commercial.
* To notify the Team Leader of any potential problems, including lack of resources / budgets / forward workload.
* To maintain appropriate documentation and records in assigned areas of work including project files and the Management Information System (MIS).
* To undertake ad-hoc and emergent tasks as directed by the Manager or Team Leader.
* Chartered or on route to Chartership or operator experience in submarines to at least Cat B but probably a Cat A (Chief Petty Officer).
* Evidence of Problems solving and delivering pragmatic solution to real issues.
* Able to deal with numerous stakeholders and conflicting requirements.
* If external, would like to see people with Fluids modelling (Hydraulic system design) or System performance degradation modelling (bearing wear etc.).
* Good communicators and can work well in a team (i.e. Not tech specialists).
ADDITIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION: We seek an experienced Mechanical Engineer who has ideally worked in a Defence or Nuclear environment in the UK within the last 12 months, or who is capable of obtaining UK MOD Security Clearance to SC Level.