8 months ago
Job Description - Mechanical Designer (101812)
Mechanical Designer -
Requisition ID : 101812
CA-Ontario-Canada, North America
L3 WESCAM is an exciting company providing systems that capture stabilized, high-magnification images from fixed-wing, rotary-wing, UAV, aerostat and ground based platforms. From low-altitude tactical missions to long-range covert surveillance missions, images are transmitted in real-time to fixed and mobile receive locations for immediate interpretation. WESCAM's MX-Series of Electro-optic and Infrared (EO/IR), laser, surveillance and targeting systems provide unparalleled image stability and long-range detection capability to Defense/Military, Homeland Security, Search and Rescue and Airborne law enforcement agencies worldwide. Our dominance of the airborne platform space has positioned us for explosive and game changing growth into ground-based markets.
WESCAM offers a challenging and dynamic work environment. Work with leading-edge technology and tools, alongside some of the best thought leaders in our industry, in an environment that values work/life balance. Benefits include every second Friday off with pay (9/80 work schedule) in addition to regular vacation and public holidays, free on-site gym, free fruit, free bagels on the last day of the week, a strong focus on continuing education and much more. Most of all, WESCAM is working towards a noble cause. Our work has a direct link to saving people's lives and safeguarding freedom around the world. We truly do make a difference in our work and in the world!
Learn more about what we do…
Tasks to be Accomplished
* Mechanical design from concept to production including:
* Concept design
* Detailed design
* Design verification through test and analysis
* Responsible for the design integrity of assigned work
* Off-the-shelf sourcing of components
* Participating in design reviews
* Support estimating of work packages
* Following design standards – GD&T, internal and industry standards
* Validation of design to specifications
* Generation of documentation:
* Part and assembly drawings
* Keep in synchronization with Mechanical industry trends and new technologies that may be relevant to L3 WESCAM’s present and future product development
* Knowledge of machining, casting, sheet metal, and composites manufacturing techniques and processes
* Knowledge of rapid prototyping techniques and methods
* 3D CAD Design
* Structural analysis – FEA
* Vibration isolation and troubleshooting
* Motion systems – analysis, selection and design
Experience & Education Requirements
* Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
* 5+ years of experience in a similar role
L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
Organized into 3 segments – Electronic Systems, Communications Systems and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Systems – L3 Technologies employs over 31,000 people worldwide with reported 2017 sales of $9.6 billion.
L3’s ISR Systems Segment brings together a broad collection of some 20+ unique L3 divisions across 8 business areas to offer a diverse portfolio of innovative sensor and intelligence technologies across the maritime, land, airborne, space, cyber and warfighter domains. Comprised of 14,000 employees in 5 countries including in 15 states in 25+ locations, we are a global partner of choice delivering innovative capabilities to gather, share and protect intelligence for a more secure world.
L3 is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women, protected veterans and disabled individuals to apply.
This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties as necessary.
*Please note: L3 WESCAM has an accommodation process in place and provides accommodations for employees with disabilities, both during the selection process as well as during employment.
* CAN Security Clearance Required: Other
Schedule : Full-time
Shift : Day - 1st
Travel : No
Organization : Division L-3 Wescam