3 months ago
Mechanical Assembler reports to the manufacturing supervisor and is responsible for assembling, installing, aligning, adjusting and fitting subassemblies and parts or auxiliary equipment using appropriate tools and equipment, in an industrial setting. The position works under some supervision and limited contact with external suppliers or customers.
* Assemble and/or perform preset calibration/final testing. Performs low to moderately complex assembly and test. Products may include but are not limited to small products, light subassemblies, and/or complete units of a smaller size.
* Assemble, install, align, adjust and fit subassemblies and parts or auxiliary equipment using appropriate tools and equipment as per work instructions.
* Clean parts and maintain tooling and equipment per proper work instructions.
* Follow work instructions associated with assembly skills to become certified for work being performed.
* Work with close tolerances and fits to meet engineering and operating requirements.
* Pick and/or stock parts from point of use in stock rooms and places completed parts. (In Duarte, Stockhandlers perform these functions.)
* Complete all required paperwork in an accurate and efficient manner, including Quality Assurance and Test Record.
* Be knowledgeable and compliant with all area housekeeping efforts.
* Complete Quality Assurance and Test Record (QAATR) reports.
* May disassemble and handle returned units with supervision.
* May perform assembly audits (after being certified). Does not apply to Duarte.
* Perform low to moderately complex flow and/or pressure testing of assembly components.
* Perform test stand preset calibration and final test of product.
* Promote teamwork within the organization.
The following functions may be performed. At Woodward Santa Clarita, they are essential functions.
* Sort parts for repair units for re-use with defined checking gages.
* Perform final assembly of units after final completion of testing, and record applicable data as required.
* Mount units on test stands and perform tests to meet test requirements of product being tested.
* Knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of basic hand tools (e.g., wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, scrappers, box cutters).
* Knowledge of and ability to apply inspection techniques (e.g., formalized inspection standards, inspection instructions, best practices) and use inspection tools efficiently. The ability to read and use micrometers, functional and cylindrical gauges, comparators, indicator setups, scales.
* Knowledge and ability to use torque wrenches to adjust parts and equipment, or install parts and equipment, following established specifications and procedures.
* Knowledge of how quality impacts the success of the organization including costs to customers, costs of recalls and potential costs due to negative impacts on a company's reputation. This includes taking the necessary steps to ensure quality on a consistent basis and striving for improvement.
* The ability to accomplish a task with concern for all the areas involved, including the ability to notice minute inconsistencies/faults in parts, equipment, or production processes to prevent faulty products leaving the facility.
* The ability to use computer and web-based systems to input, access, modify, or output information.
* The ability to write effectively, to read and understand work documents and to communicate information clearly to coworkers and supervisor.
* General knowledge of machines and equipment functionality, and how tools could be used on such equipment/machines. This includes the ability to learn new systems quickly, understanding how parts relate, and how they impact system functionality. The position also requires manual dexterity or the ability to work quickly with hands.
* The ability and willingness to demonstrate eagerness, enthusiasm, and optimism for work activities. This includes the ability and willingness to take ownership for work activities, to learn and understand company policies and procedures.
* The ability to accurately provide the information requested on specific forms, reports, and logs. This includes generating or transcribing appropriate words, numbers, or symbols to complete written or computerized forms, reports, or logs.
* The ability to identify problems and to assist with resolution. This also includes the ability to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills.
* The ability to provide excellent service to internal customers.
* The ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team.
* The ability to perform simple arithmetic computations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division correctly using whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percentages.
* The ability to process multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously and the ability to follow work orders efficiently.
* The ability to see details (e.g., letters, numbers, codes, color, symbols, marks, labels, signs) clearly to accomplish work tasks in a safe and efficient manner and possessing strong hand-eye coordination.
Education or Formal Training:
* High school diploma or equivalent required.
* No related work experience.
* Mechanical aptitude required.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job: Mechanical Assembly
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Niles
Schedule: FULL TIME
Shift: 1st Shift / Day Job