4 months ago
Mechanical Assembler reports to the manufacturing supervisor and is responsible for assembling, installing, aligning, adjusting and fitting sub-assemblies and parts or auxiliary equipment using appropriate tools and equipment, in an industrial setting. The position works underlimited supervision, moderate decision-making and problem solving, in an industrial setting.This position also provides some guidance to other members.
* Assemble and/or perform preset calibration/final testing for simple assemblies/sub-assemblies consisting of mechanical and electro-mechanical components.
* Assembly consists of moderate to highcomplexity.
* Products may include but are not limited to small, medium and large products,sub-assemblies, and/or complete units.
* Assemble, install, align, adjust and fit sub-assemblies and parts or auxiliary equipment using appropriate tools and equipment.
* Maintain tooling and equipment per proper work instructions.
* Clean parts and maintain tooling and equipment per proper work instructions.
* Follow and maintain training plan and work instructions associated with assembly skills to become certified for work being performed. Inspect parts for re-use.
* Perform troubleshooting and diagnosis of moderately complex assembly and/or test problems.
* Work with close tolerances and fits to meet engineering and operating requirements.
* Warranty Returns - Perform TARs and complete OEWAMS.
* Performs intermediate troubleshooting and diagnosis of problems.
* Be knowledgeable and compliant with all area housekeeping efforts.
* Complete Quality Assurance and Test Record (QAATR) reports.
* Disassemble and handle returned units.
* Coach, guide or mentor others to help improve team and company objectives.
* Identify and implement quality/process improvements with manufacturing engineer.
* Perform assembly audits (after being certified).
* Perform flow and/or pressure testing of assembly components.
* Perform test stand preset calibration and final test of product.
* Promote teamwork within the organization.
* Train new personnel and help establish training plans and syllabi.
* Collaborate with engineering by serving as a technical resource to improve processes and solve problems.
* Work with development on the transition of new programs into production.
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
* Moderate physical activity requiring agility and dexterity, including walking, standing, or bending; and lifting or moving objects.
* Work is performed in area with moderate risk or discomfort that may require special safety precautions, such as wearing protective clothing or gear.
* May be required to pass Near Vision and/or Color Vision examinations.
* Knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of basic hand tools (e.g., wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, scrappers, box cutters).
* Knowledge of and ability to apply inspection techniques (e.g., formalized inspection standards, inspection instructions, best practices) and use inspection tools efficiently.
* The ability to read and use micrometers, functional and cylindrical gauges, comparators, indicator setups, scales.
* Knowledge and ability to use torque wrenches to adjust parts and equipment, or install parts and equipment, following established specifications and procedures.
* Knowledge of continuous improvement processes to improve operational effectiveness.
* Knowledge of how quality impacts the success of the organization including costs to customers, costs of recalls and potential costs due to negative impacts on a company's reputation. This includes taking the necessary steps to ensure quality on a consistent basis and striving for improvement.
* The ability to accomplish a task with concern for all the areas involved, including the ability to notice minute inconsistencies/faults in parts.
* The ability to use computer and web-based systems to input, access, modify, or output information.
* The ability to write effectively, to read and understand work documents and to communicate information clearly to coworkers and supervisor.
* The position also involves the ability to mentor and provide guidance to members, through instruction and personal example.
* General knowledge of machines and equipment functionality, and how tools could be used on such equipment/machines. This includes the ability to learn new systems quickly, understanding how parts relate, and how they impact system functionality.
* The position also requires manual dexterity or the ability to work quickly with hands.
* The position also requires the knowledge of and ability to identify opportunities to improve current production processes and to implement the necessary steps for the improvements with manufacturing engineer.
* The ability and willingness to demonstrate eagerness, enthusiasm, and optimism for work activities. This includes the ability and willingness to take ownership for work activities, to learn and understand company policies and procedures, to take independent action and complete job tasks without being instructed to complete them.
* The ability to accurately provide the information requested on specific forms, reports, and logs. This includes generating or transcribing appropriate words, numbers, or symbols to complete written or computerized forms, reports, or logs.
* The ability to define, diagnose, and resolve problems. This includes seeking, logically examining, and interpreting information from different sources to determine a problem's cause and developing a course of action to resolve the problem and to prevent its reoccurrence. This also includes the ability to acquire and apply new knowledge and skills and the ability to integrate knowledge of current resources and constraints, priorities and manufacturing processes to determine the benefits and costs associated with key decisions.
* The ability to provide excellent service to internal customers.
* The ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with others as a team. The ability to perform simple arithmetic computations including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division correctly using whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percentages.
* The ability to process multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously and the ability to follow work orders efficiently.
* The ability to see details (e.g., letters, numbers, codes, color, symbols, marks, labels, signs) clearly to accomplish work tasks in a safe and efficient manner and possessing strong hand-eye coordination.
Education or Formal Training:
* High school diploma or equivalent required.
* At least 3 years of related work experience and applicable certifications.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job: Mechanical Assembly
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Niles
Schedule: FULL TIME
Shift: 1st Shift / Day Job