4 months ago
MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING MGR-1900983
Responsible for developing, leading, and managing a staff of manufacturing engineers and manufacturing specialists, to support the division in the effort to design, develop, and manufacture highly complex components. The incumbent will utilize his/her full resources and effort to continuously improve the cost of manufacturing and quality over the full life cycle of the product. The incumbent will routinely conceptualize, investigate, evaluate, and deploy as appropriate, new manufacturing technologies, methods, and systems, to improve the company's competitive position.
* Establishes and prioritizes objectives to realize the Company strategies
* Develops, maintains, and improves a highly effective and well-skilled staff to carry out actions to complete planned objectives (utilizes the Talent Management System, completes review process and salary planning, and maintains and executes a training matrix)
* Develops the department budget to support profit planning activities and manages within the approved budget constraints to support achievement of the Company's profitability objectives
* Develop relevant capital plans to improve the productivity of the operations. Effectively plans and justifies capital expenditures
* Utilizes the department and as well the full extended enterprise to improve the quality, capability, throughput, manufacturability, cost, safety, etc. of existing products through the use of sophisticated methods (such as VA/VE, Six Sigma, Lean, TPS, dimensional analysis, formal problem solving, DOE, Taguchi, etc.)
* Utilizes the department to conceive and implement lean continuous improvement projects to enable the operability of the BTO (Build-to-Order) process
* Utilizes the department to support the development of new products via responsibilities derived from the PLC (Product Life Cycle) process
* Manages the prototype group and meets cost, quality, and delivery objectives set by the project team
* Utilizes the prototype function to proactively develop, improve, and validate the manufacturing processes for new products
* Responsible for utilizing the prototype build experience to improve the design for manufacturability (DFM) early in the design phase of new product development
* Supports sustaining engineering by leading the implementation of ECRs into production
* Supports the new proposal development (quoting) by advanced manufacturing process planning
* Leads the tooling design group to support the requirements of the prototype, test, and production groups
* Regularly attends external events, such as trade shows, conferences, etc. to seek out, evaluate, and deploy new manufacturing technologies and methods to improve the Company's overall competitiveness
* Supports other groups or divisions within Woodward with expertise and manpower to the extent possible when critical situations arise
* Supports purchasing, commodities management, or quality groups with expertise and manpower to the extent possible when critical supplier quality or delivery issues arise
* Participates on committees to the extent required (such as innovation and patent committees)
* Periodically organizes manufacturing technology exchange events within Woodward to share and learn best practices within the Organization:
* Is a member and actively participates in a relevant professional manufacturing organizations such as SME
Materials and Equipment Used:
* PC and related software WISE system Working Environment / Physical Activities: Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust, and temperature above 80 degrees F.
* Travel may be required
* Significant understanding of special manufacturing processes such as welding, brazing, heat treating, machining, EDM, etc.
* Significant understanding of special purchased materials manufacturing methods such as castings, forgings, stampings, etc.
* Formal problem solving skills such as Tachuchi, DOE, 8D, etc.
* Significant understanding of lean manufacturing principles
* Excellent people, time management, and project management skills
* Significant process planning expertise
* Strong cost analysis capabilities to the extent necessary to justify capital appropriation requests, analyze VA/VE suggestion,perform make/buy studies, etc.
* Strong strategic thinking skills (specifically relating to the corporate strategic planning and execution via new manufacturing methodologies)
* Ability to coach, mentor, and motivate individuals to perform beyond their comfort zone
* Ability to travel to suppliers, other locations within Woodward, and customers as required to fulfill the needs of the Organization:
Education or Formal Training:
* Bachelors of Science in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering required
* Masters of Science in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering desired
* Six Sigma Blackbelt desired
* Certificate in Lean Manufacturing desired
* Minimum 8 to 12 years experience in manufacturing engineering in an industrial environment required
* Previous leadership experience required
* Experience largely gained in a high mix low volume environment desired
* Aerospace or Industrial fuel injection experience desired
* 3 to 5 years lean implementation desired
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job: Engineering Management
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Zeeland
Schedule: FULL TIME
Shift: 1st Shift / Day Job