8 months ago
Apprentice entry level position responsible to learn how to set up and operate conventional, special purpose, numerical control (NC) machines, manual lathes, millers, grinders, drill presses and band saws to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work under the general direction of the department supervisor with a minimum of supervision.
• Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
• Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
• Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders, and shapers.
• Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
• Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
• Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications using various measurement tools, including micrometers, caliper, and comparator.
• Sets up and operates machine on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data.
• Fits and assembles parts into complete assembly.
• Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly.
• Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, and equipment, and tests operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
• Reports defective material, any unusual condition or circumstance immediately to supervisor.
• Maintains personal productive and quality standards as determined by company.
• Follows standard practices and procedures as outlined by company policy.
• Obeys all safety regulations.
• Maintains area in a clean and orderly condition.
• Performs all other duties as directed or required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); 1 year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Strong math skills required.
Must have reasonable dexterity in hands to manipulate micrometers, calipers and other precision hand tools.
Ability to lift over 5 pounds and up to 20 pounds.
Ability to stand for long periods of time.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.