about 1 year ago
What does a Linux Systems Administrator do for Allegiant?
Allegiant is looking for a self-motivated and talented linux administrator to join our operations team. This person will primarily be focused on the applications and systems running in our linux environment. The ideal candidate would be someone who understands
client / server applications and the underlying technologies.
What is the Allegiant Operations Team?
The Allegiant Operations Team is responsible for supporting ALL of Allegiant Air’s customer-facing IT systems and services. Those services include public facing websites, internal corporate systems, monitoring systems, backup and recovery systems, as well as
auditing and reporting services. In addition to managing these IT systems and services, the Ops team also works closely with our development teams throughout our software development life cycle (SDLC). Our Ops team’s mission statement: Implement, maintain,
and continually improve the most innovative airline and travel technology solutions EVER!
What is the operations team like?
We have a close-knit group of talented IT professionals. We are passionate about the technologies we deploy. Our main hours of operations are from 6AM - 6PM. Unless you are on call, a normal shift is eight hours. Training opportunities are made available to
learn and grow, and you will learn new skills on the job. Personal growth and embracing your inner geek is very much encouraged.
What are some of the daily duties of a Linux Systems Administrator?
• Support the core backend / internal facing IT infrastructure, which includes development teams.
• Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve technical problems relating to systems and applications.
• Perform maintenance / upgrades to applications and systems.
• Deployment of new technology while adhering to best practice.
• Perform tuning of servers and services.
• Assist in automating internal processes and procedures.
• Follow incident, problem, crisis and change management processes.
• Work with IT teams to assist in support enterprise IT infrastructure.
What are the minimum requirements to be a Linux Systems Administrator?
• Education requirements 4-6 years of experience. BA/BS preferred
• Experience installing, configuring, and managing Red Hat Linux
• Able to write scripts and / or programs using an administrative language (Batch, Bash, Perl, Python, etc)
• Experience with apache, tomcat, jenkins, maven, memcache
• Experience with VMWare vSphere administration
• Experience with NetBackup, Amanda
• Familiar with fundamental computer science concepts
• A minimum of 3 years Linux systems administration
• In-depth knowledge of network protocols, such as IP, ARP, TCP, UDP, DHCP, DNS, FTP, NTP, SNMP, etc.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Able to document team policies and procedures if they do not already exist
• Excellent technical problem-solving skills
• Excellent customer support skills
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Proven oral and written communications skills
• able to prioritize, address, and follow through on multiple tasks in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Available to be on-call for emergencies; able to work weekends if needed
What other skills, knowledge, and qualifications are needed to be an Linux Systems Administrator?
• Experience in a fast-paced environment
• Experience administering and maintaining code / asset repositories (CVS, SVN, GIT, etc)
• Experience with Atlassian products (Confluence, Jira, Stash, etc)
• Experience managing and support Cisco UCS hardware
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Computer science, Information Technology)
• Familiar with software build environments
• Familiar with OpenStack or vCloud
• Experience with Satellite Server, Puppet, Cobbler and Kickstart
• Red Hat or VMWare Certifications
• Experience in Large-Scale computing environments
• Experience with NAS and SAN systems
• Knowledge of SOX, PCI, and ITIL practices and experience with their application in an IT department
• Thrive in our environment:
• Our environment never stays the same. The perfect candidate should exhibit a high attention to detail, adjust quickly to an ever- changing and evolving environment, and poses sharp analytical competency for all-things-technology. We are a travel company,
and our IT tasks occasionally require domestic and international travel, so a passport is required.