9 months ago
Lead, Aircraft Electrical Engineer
Position at Gogo Commercial Aviation
This individual will support installation of electrical/system components and develop structural deviations to commercial aircraft with strong ability to substantiate structural changes. They will also support design and certification of systems and equipment onboard commercial aircraft. The engineer will be required to operate with little direct supervision and work with Liaison, the MRO, DERs and Gogo internal customers to ensure on time delivery of Gogo modified aircraft. This position reports to the Director of Airline Support Engineering
Responsible for generating and checking electrical wiring diagrams, Wire routing, component installation and grounding. Responsible for reviewing, developing and checking electrical load analysis changes. Responsible for approving deviations to drawings and generating deviation instructions for modifications to commercial/corporate/private aircraft. Responsible for providing technical support and guidance to more junior Engineers and Designers.
Essential Job Functions
* Gathers aircraft data from OEM and airline to be used during engineering design and prototype installations.
* Develops Engineering Design Deviation Authorization Instructions for Maintenance or Airline shop personnel that is certifiable under FAA or EASA regulations.
* Responsible to perform investigations, conduct root cause analysis, and develop dispositions for non-conformances. Review engineering specifications (process, material), production orders then initiate design and process changes to correct errors and resolve complex problems.
* Provide technical support to manufacturing personnel and other departments as appropriate on engineering model interpretation, specifications, and documents
* Investigate reports of defective, damaged, or malfunctioning parts, assemblies, equipment, or systems to determine nature and scope of problem
* Evaluate findings to formulate corrective action plan and coordinate implementation of plan. Maintains records or oversees recording of information by others to ensure engineering models and documents are current and that engineering-related production problems and resolutions are documented
* Develops detailed structural/mechanical design of aircraft equipment installations and alterations (antennas, avionics equipment, interior components) to support the Design Deviation Authorization documentation.
* Communicates design deviations across multiple teams and time zones in a timely manner to support delivery of aircraft.
* Prepare and/or check documentation as necessary to satisfy customer, company and regulatory requirements.
* Work to quickly resolve electrical/mechanical manufacturing and installation problems. Coordinate any systemic design problems with Aircraft Design group for possible design changes.
* Develop Service bulletins to cover aircraft fleet deviations to a series of aircraft.
* Provides technical support to internal stakeholders to resolve technical compliance issues.
* Participate in aircraft survey, initial technical concept meeting (ITCM), and preliminary design review (PDR) and critical design review (CDR) meetings in addition to prototype and production installation support, as required.
* Develops and maintains working relationships with regulatory agencies and industry partners to continually improve standing of company.
* Travel as required to support business activities.
* Support Certification Engineering with Instructions for Continued Airworthiness Changes.
* Support Technical Publications with input to Manual changes.
* Support Design Engineering with future system installations and design development.
* Communicate status updates to Project Engineers and Program Managers to support customer deliverables.
* Support Boeing Line Fit incorporation, if required
* Support FAA or EASA STC Certification Plan and project development
* Support AMCC in-service system troubleshooting, repair and reliability.
* Perform additional duties as directed.
* Requires knowledge of 3D modeling and drawing development. AutoCAD or SolidWorks experience a plus.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
* FAA DER Standardization Training
* Requires working knowledge of and experience with aircraft design methodologies and practices.
* Must be able to work either alone or as part of a team to solve problems.
* 15 years minimum experience working on commercial aircraft completions or modifications.
* 10 years minimum experience working with FAA certification regulations including Airworthiness Directives.
* 10 years minimum MRO or Airline support.
* Specialty in two of the following (DO-160 rules, Flammability testing, Electrical Load Analysis, EWIS / EZAP approval, STCs)
* Must be a self-starter with the ability to generate alternative ideas and solve problems.
* Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
* Degree in Electrical Engineering, Avionics Technology training, or equivalent.
We connect the aviation industry and air travelers with innovative technology and applications, and we do it all in a high-energy environment that welcomes the next challenge. Be prepared to join a performance-obsessed team that is passionate about bringing the internet to every device, every flight, everywhere.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled
Gogo participates in E-Verify. Details in English and Spanish. Right to Work Statement in English and Spanish.