8 months ago
The Mechanical Systems Design Engineer (Mechanisms) - Experienced (Level 4) supports the development and documentation of mechanical system and environmental requirements to establish the mechanisms system design. As part of Boeing's Network & Space Systems division, Satellite Systems manages the company's major commercial and government satellite and ground programs for communications, national defense and other missions. Commercial Satellite Systems (CSS) and Government Satellite Systems (GSS) are supported by the Satellite Development Center (SDC) in Los Angeles, CA which oversees the design, development, manufacture, integration and testing of satellites.
* Supports the development, maintenance or modification of system, component and installation designs/proposals to provide design documentation to downstream groups.
* Performs and documents analyses to validate and verify systems and components meet requirements and specifications.
* Candidate has working knowledge and experience related to 3-D Computer Aided Design tools (PTC Creo, CreoView), Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T – ASME Y14.5M) standards and/or other design methods to provide product definition to other engineering groups, production operations, suppliers and external customers throughout the product lifecycle.
* Establishes and documents mechanical component and system level design requirements (e.g. performance, environment, functionality, life, envelope, integration).
* Performs component level design and structural analysis of machine components (springs, gears, bearings, motors, etc.).
* Supervision of fabrication, assembly and test of spacecraft Flight mechanism products to validate and verify systems and components meet requirements and specifications.
* Performs and documents analyses of mechanism components and systems using models and tools to validate or assess the design.
* Analyses include performance, root cause, sensitivity, tolerance, mechanism, dynamic, structural and thermal.
* Assists in technical oversight of suppliers and participates in supplier selection.
* Supports testing (e.g., flight tests, hardware-in-loop simulations, qualification tests, functional tests).
* Evaluates test data to validate components and systems against design requirements and objectives.
* Performs similarity and other verification analyses.
Additional project leadership responsibilities could include:
* Supports proposal preparation and new business development efforts in order to grow the business. Tasks include: work statement estimates (e.g., cost, schedule, task breakdown) and marketing support.
* Project leadership and IPT responsibilities including leading a cross-discipline team in Mechanisms Systems program execution.
* Delivering on all cost and schedule program commitments Earned Value Management System (EVMS), estimate at complete (EAC), cost account management (CAM), and technical performance/management of products through delivery, and managing risk and opportunities.
Space and Launch
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 9 or more years' experience, Master's with 7 or more years' experience or PhD with 4 or more years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Basic Qualification (Required):
* This position requires successful completion of a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) by the federal government within the last 5 years.
* Experience with deployable or rotating structures and mechanism elements of electro-mechanical mechanical or electro-optical nature.
* Experience with MATLAB and LabView.
* BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
* Project leadership experience leading cross-functional teams.
* Cost Account Management experience.
* Earned Value Management (EVM) experience.
* Experience performing CAM - Cost Account Management tasks.
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Contingent Upon Program Award