3 months ago
Engineering Repair - Repair Engineer Associate
PAE, Everett, Washington, United States of America
Monday, November 5, 2018
Repair Engineering supports the Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) activities of Aviation Technical Services by providing aircraft structural repair dispositions to aircraft undergoing heavy maintenance and out of service due to various types of damage. This function is critical to the success of ATS’s core business.
This is a highly charged and dynamic environment, focusing on extremely time-sensitive and fast paced engineering solutions. Engineers work directly with mechanics on the aircraft to determine the best course of action, developing solutions that return the airplane to an airworthy condition meeting all regulatory requirements and returning the aircraft to revenue service in an expeditious manner. This may include working directly with the aircraft manufactures, third party design centers, or developing the repair based on current available data.
This position allows an individual to learn and grow in the industry with direct on-aircraft experience, gaining a strong understanding of aircraft structures and components, along with the challenge of restoring damage to an airworthy condition. The job is primarily driven by on-the-job training with each day posing new challenges. Essential are the abilities to work with a wide variety of personalities and cultures, willingness to learn and take constructive feedback, have a “self-starter” attitude, and genuine appreciation for aircraft and their complexities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Develop timely structural repairs for aircraft and components based on sound engineering principles driven by OEM, FAA, airline, and best practice guidance.
* Ability to provide substantiation for approval authorities for the engineering soundness of repairs, describing not only the “how” but the “why” of the repair construction.
* Technical competence in Computer Aided Design; Solidworks or AutoCAD preferred; can successfully create drawings and repairs on CAD software.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of software.
* Ability to clearly and concisely communicate Engineering solutions to mechanics, customers, and OEM representatives.
* Ability to manage time, manage one’s tasks in a timely manner, plan priorities and ability to easily flow with rapidly changing priorities. Comfortable in a dynamic environment and aircraft heavy maintenance environment.
* Ability to quickly develop an understanding for, and apply information from Structural Repair Manuals (SRMs), Aircraft Maintenance Manuals (AMMs), Illustrated Parts Catalogs (IPCs), Service Bulletins (SBs), Airworthiness Directives (ADs) and other aircraft reference materials.
* Ability to interpret and use aircraft manufacturing, assembly, and installation drawings.
* Ability to understand regulatory requirements for airworthiness, for the FAA and various foreign authorities (EASA, etc.) and include in engineering documents, drawings and designs.
The individual in this position may initiate technical instructions that are substantiated by data acceptable to or approved by the FAA and EASA or equivalent. For technical instruction pertaining to work accomplished on aircraft or components operated under CFR Part 91, 121, and 145, authority is as specified by the air carrier's procedures and/or ATS Repair Station Manual.
The individual in this position will observe all company, health, safety, and environmental rules at ATS, ensures that employees have full information on their area specific safety issues, all unique hazards identified, and the individual is provided with the proper equipment to carry out their job in a safe manner. Also, the entire work area must be maintained to a high standard of housekeeping and low incidence of physical hazards and all accidents must be promptly reported to your supervisor or manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Be adaptable and flexible at all times and apply their knowledge and skills to develop creative solutions to a wide variety of unique design, modification, and repair problems encountered.
* Strong PC skills including the MS Office Suite
* Proficient in Computer Aided Design tools.
* Ability to accomplish basic stress analysis and substantiation for repairs or modifications using standard accepted industry practices and other structural design methodologies. (Note: this is not a stress engineer position, but a basic understanding and ability is required).
* Previous experience as a mechanic (i.e. A&P, military crew chief, etc.) a plus.
* Assertive communication skills both verbally and in writing.
* Genuine openness and willing desire to learn and grow with guidance from senior engineers, mechanics, and specialists from a variety of fields.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering, Engineering Technology degree or an AA technical degree with minimum 2 years design experience, or equivalent aircraft design experience required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND DEXTERITY:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit; use their hands and arms; and talk or hear; and focus on objects close up. The employee will also be required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
* Position may require overnight travel, being on-call, and responding to technical AOG situations during off hours.
* Position may require being assigned to alternative shifts (i.e. Day, Night, Swing, and Weekends) to support programs or installations.
* Normal business office conditions generally prevail. The noise level is usually low to moderate. Employee may be working in a cubicle, enclosed office, or open area. Floor may be carpeted or bare.
This job description is not a contract for employment and either party may terminate employment at any time. The job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. ATS reserves the right to revise the job description at any time.