6 months ago
PCC Airfoils, LLC, headquartered in Greater Cleveland, Ohio, is a world leader in the fast-paced, high-tech industry of investment casting. Each of the sixteen (16) Airfoils’ locations play an integral part in the manufacture of blades, vanes and components for use in gas turbine engines. PCC’s parts are found on virtually all commercial & military aircraft, as well as, industrial gas turbine applications in the free world. Our product plays a significant role in the evolution of the light-weight, fuel-efficient engines of the next generation.
The Airfoils Division is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Precision Castparts Corp. and was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway in February 2016. The company currently has an overall sales volume of over $10 Billion, employing in excess of 30,000 individuals throughout 130 locations in the U.S. and worldwide. PCC is seeking individuals with high personal and professional standards who will thrive in a fast-paced, goal oriented work environment.
The Ceramics Group segment of PCC Airfoils and consists of three manufacturing locations - Wickliffe, Ohio, which also serves as Ceramics headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio, and Sanford, NC. The Ceramics Group operations supply ceramic cores and proprietary custom blended ceramic particulate systems used in the manufacturing of the investment castings. Products and systems manufactured in these operations include: custom blended ceramic shell systems, injection molded silica and alumina cores for investment cast airfoils, slurry cast cores for land-based turbine casting applications and ceramic extrusions. The operations are expanding due to sales volume increase and this provides unique opportunities for career growth and development:
Job Title: Engineering Co-Op
Products and Services
We have proprietary ceramic materials that provide clear advantages through:
• Extremely low shrinkage for precise replication of part features
• High degrees of porosity to facilitate core removal and to avoid casting hot tears.
• Excellent stability of silica and alumina cores at high temperatures insures the integrity of casting wall thickness and internal features.
• Cores are non-reactive with traditional casting alloys.
The co-op student will be working on job assignments related to their functional engineering discipline. These increasingly challenging assignments will provide foremost an effective learning assignment and then a sound intellectual and/or financial return for the PCC organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Learn basics of investment casting process – includes the fundamentals of gating & molding, tooling, tolerances, and process control.
• The student will apply principles that he or she has learned in school to hands-on situations, such as process and product design and improvement.
• The student will be responsible for accomplishing performance goals and will receive progressive responsibility in process and/or product engineering throughout his/her co-op experience.
• Will identify and recommend process improvements for specified projects.
• Student will attend regular departmental meeting.
• Student will attend training sessions, symposiums and other appropriate educational opportunities.
• Will perform or review systems analysis, testing and documentation for existing processes.
• Will take ownership and responsibility for identified projects.
• Participate on project teams for assigned projects; analyze improvements and new product or applications and develop requirements and specifications with team.
• Work within specifications provided to meet project goals and objectives in a timely and accurate manner.
• Participate with peers, project team members and other departments on new product development, product line extensions and product enhancements.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of related engineering discipline functional and technical skills
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Access
• Good writing skills and interpersonal skills
• Customer Service Knowledge
Knowledgeable, articulate, diplomatic, credible, quick on his or her feet, tough-minded, with strong engineering skills. The ideal candidate also needs to be a change agent and an intuitive, forward thinking, hands-on person who knows how to gather and integrate information quickly. He or she will also need to be a champion of using advanced statistical processes that will keep the organization focused on enhancing casting quality with state of the art practices and procedures.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
• Full-time student pursing a Bachelor’s Degree in Materials, Mechanical or Aeronautical Engineering
• Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 or higher
This position requires routine walking, standing, lifting, bending, and sitting. Routine and frequent use of a computer is required. Will operate plant machinery.
Student will spend 30% of time in the manufacturing plant. The position may require contact with hazardous chemicals.
• Improved customer satisfaction (based on year over year survey data)
• Create and drive the attainment of the Sales Plan
• Champion 100% on time delivery through out the production organizations
We are always seeking individuals with high personal and professional standards who will thrive in a fast-paced goal-oriented work environment. We are a company that fosters personal development, supports individual creativeness and leads the industry in our manufacturing processes. We take pride in creating a culture of winning daily while providing a rewarding place to work.