5 months ago
Job ID#: 23637BR
Company: General Atomics
Job Title: Embedded Avionics Engineer
Job Category: Engineering
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Salary
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Embedded Avionics Engineer to join our Real-Time and Embedded Avionics Embedded Software group located in Huntsville, AL. With limited direction, this position exercises considerable latitude for initiating and developing designs, procedures, techniques and solution to resolving advanced technical engineering problems. This role assess and/or develop requirements, and design, implement, integrate and test work products; as well as, entails direct hands-on development of software in support of real-time and embedded systems used for a variety of applications including and related to avionics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Determines annual and multi-year technical objectives for designated engineering systems or project(s)/program(s).
* Assess and/or develop requirements, and design, implement, integrate and test work products.
* Represents the assigned systems or projects(s)/program(s) as a prime technical expert.
* Responsible for direct hands-on development of software in support of real-time and embedded systems used for a variety of applications
* Act as expert consultant and adviser in identified area(s) of engineering.
* Advises or directs the activities of assigned project(s)/program(s) to achieve technical objectives.
* Directs and allocates technical resources and professional staff to achieve objectives.
* Develops new and/or expands existing business opportunities.
* Ensures compliance, reporting, and safety standards are maintained.
* Participates in the planning, selection, retention, and development of the professional staff.
* Publishes and present technical papers and abstracts and participate in internal and external technical program reviews.
* Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
* Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
* Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; nine or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, seven or more years of experience with a masters degree, or four or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
* US citizenship is required.
* Bachelors in Electrical or Computer Engineering or related engineering field is required.
* Masters in Electrical or Computer Engineering or related engineering field is preferred.
* Active DoD Secret clearance required. Active Top Secret DoD security clearance is preferred.
* Demonstrates an extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership.
* Strong embedded software development discipline is required.
* Embedded C/C++ programming experience is required.
* Experience working with custom hardware, reading schematics, and working with hardware designers is required.
* Must have demonstrated technical leadership and experience estimating resources and schedules for technical tasks.
* Must be a resourceful "self-starter" capable of researching details of target processor hardware and interfaces.
* Must have experience and/or aptitude that demonstrates the ability to technically lead a team developing and testing custom embedded systems, with a solid understanding of the software/hardware interface within a complex system.
* Must be customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering problems.
* Experience with RTOS, ARM, ADI DSPs, PPC, I2C, SPI, CAN, 1760/1553, and Linux is desirable.
* Experience with satellite or missile avionics flight code is highly desirable.
* Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment.
* Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required enabling an effective interface with other departments and/or professionals, and capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
* Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
* Must be able to work extended hours as required.
* A Professional Engineering License, original work(s) published in professional engineering journals, and invited to present one or more original works to an engineering symposium are desirable.
Travel Percentage Required : 0% - 25%
Clearance Level Secret