8 months ago
Continuous Improvement Engineer
US - CA - Valencia
Continuous Improvement Engineer
PCC Aerostructures is a leading supplier of complex components and assemblies to the global aerospace industry.
Fueled by several acquisitions since 2011, PCC Aerostructures now includes more than 35 plants in the U.S, Europe and Asia with over 6500 employees and has ambitious growth plans. Businesses within PCC Aerostructures include Primus International, SPS Aerostructures, Centra, Avibank and AVK, Klune, ProCoat, Southwest United Industries, Progressive Incorporated, Synchronous and Noranco. Plants locations include Washington, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Ohio, Canada, Mexico, the UK and China.
Aerospace Dynamics International, Inc. (ADI) manufactures machined parts and assemblies for the commercial and military aerospace industries. It offers structural components, caps, panels, bulkheads, fittings, longerons, spars, chords, wing ribs, thrust reversers, structural machine parts, manufacturing tooling and stretch form blocks. ADI was acquired by PCC in April 2014. The company has received significant capital investments since the acquisition and has a highly positive growth trajectory ahead. Comprising seven facilities on its campus in Valencia, CA, ADI has over 600 full-time employees on staff.
The Continuous Improvement Engineer manages all activities related to process improvement initiatives. The CIE should have a Six Sigma or Lean certification in an aerospace or automotive manufacturing company, preferably in a large complex low volume machine shop environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with new development programs including planning the production process, researching requirements, providing proper tools, evaluating improvement needs and managing customer data.
• Responsible to evaluate and provide recommendations to production issues discovered on the shop floor. This includes data collecting, research, facilitating and collaborating with other team members.
• Identify and execute projects that target improvements to key plant metrics: safety, quality, cycle-time, improved throughput, on-time delivery and efficiency.
• Analyze and develop plans for improved work-flow, space and labor utilization, and design equipment layout and work spaces for maximum efficiency.
• Train and mentor site lean leaders, greenbelts and other improvement personnel in lean six sigma methodology.
• Able to implement and/or produce Lean/6S tools and identify and develop processes
• Expert in SMED setup and LEAN flow for manufacturing of large complex parts.
• Process planning, including material handling methods and storage.
• Evaluate plant operations and procedures to improve productivity, improve throughput, reduce non-value added activities, improve operation efficiencies and promote a more safe and ergonomic working environment.
• Process Observations (time-study); Process Flow charts; Standard Work; Spaghetti Diagrams: Standard Combination Worksheets: Percent Load Bar Charts;
• Manage and Develop Current and Future State Value Stream Maps (V.S.M.’s)
• CIE will also perform other reasonable and related duties as assigned by management.
• Methods analysis and development of best methods, process documentation, and work instruction documentation
• Prefer Certified Black Belt/Green Belt in LEAN/DMAIC/DFSS methodologies from an accredited company or school.
• Experience leading transition and ramp rate increases
• Training and experience in Lean Manufacturing, JIT and SMED concepts.
• Must have 3-5 years of MS Project or similar project tracking software experience
• Passion and ability to interact and influence all levels of the organization – from the plant floor to the leadership team.
• Must have demonstrated effective leadership with improved costs, performance or throughput for the company that is measureable.
• Strong written, verbal, analytical and presentation skills at all levels of the organization.
• Must be competent in the use and exploitation of (good working knowledge) Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, MS Project and Power Point. A plus for those with Simulation and/or Minitab experience.
• Must be familiar with machine shop practices sufficient to differentiate between milling, drilling, assembling and de-burring and must be somewhat familiar with the tools used to accomplish these tasks or become familiar (able to identify and differentiate) with these tools before the completion of the 90-day probationary period.
The position provides interaction, such as
• Speaking with customers, as necessary, to fully understand technical requirements
• Defining manufacturing process to meet customer requirements
• Estimating machining resources needed to execute a job, e.g. material, fixturing, setup, spindle time, tooling, gaging and requirement of outsourced processes
• Selecting suppliers to be used per customer requirements
• Effectively communicating with internal staff for smooth transition of information
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline with 2-5 years of experience in Continuous Improvement
Precision Castparts Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote in all job categories without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or other status protected by applicable law.