Our client is a world-class provider of advanced solutions for defence, aerospace, rail and telecommunications. An opportunity has arisen to join the Management team and we are looking to recruit an experienced Engineering Manager ideally from within the Aerospace and Aviation or related Engineering sector.
As specialists in LED lighting, night vision solutions, EMC filters, interconnect components and data capture products. Our client offer comprehensive design, manufacturing and test facilities for electronic and electro-optic systems and components with operations in both the UK and US.
Reporting into the Technical Director the Engineering Manager has responsibility for all Engineering activities in relation to the design and development department. The Engineering Manager will lead a multi-disciplined design team and work with programme management to deliver both customer and internal projects/programmes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsibility for all engineering activity within the Design and development department
- Ensure all designs packages are delivering BOM, weight, build time, DTC and milestone targets
- Ensure the production department are supported by engineering, resolving issues and improving the design to minimise build hours and BOM costs
- Develop the systems and procedures within the department to create a 'Lean' environment supporting the approach of minimal lead-time for NPI and designs that support DFM and DFQ
- Ensure innovation is at the forefront of all engineering solutions
- Monitor and maintain personal and company performance objectives. Address performance issues in a timely manner and encourage excellent performance in all aspects of the job
- Manage and monitor the design engineering resource within the team to best support programme and operational requirements, via both internal and external relationships
- To take Design Authority responsibility for engineering
- To manage the allocation of engineering resources to projects in conjunction with Project Management
- To manage and develop the engineering personnel within their area of responsibility
- Ensuring that all engineering development projects are completed in a timely manner in accordance with defined cost and schedule constraints (including meeting intermediate milestones, such as design reviews) to support overall business objectives
- Providing timely support to RFQs from sales, ensuring accurate estimations of NRE hours and design costs for Development programs
- Provide accurate forward load capacity planning and management of engineering resources
- Delivering a commitment to high quality and continuous improvement throughout the engineering function, supported by monthly metrics (KPIs)
- Working with the Programme Manager in the preparation and maintenance of detailed engineering plans to support the overall project plan; including budgets, resource requirements, task allocation, task dependencies, quality standards etc.
- To support the Project Manager in the preparation of management reports covering progress against key success criteria and with recommendations for corrective actions
- Responsible for Quality processes and procedures within the department and providing support to internal and external quality audits as required
- Experience in Military and or Aerospace engineering based applications is desirable
- Experience of managing teams to achieve quality, cost and schedule targets to a plan in an engineering design and development environment
- Experience of managing multiple project timescales
- Experience presenting designs and concepts to customers
- Familiarity with development standards such as DO-178B and DO-254 and qualification processes such as DO-160 or equivalent MIL-STD
- The suitable applicant will possess an Engineering Degree or equivalent
- The applicant will have an engineering background in ideally military or aerospace electronic product design. They will also have a good understanding of current design software packages
- Familiarity with FAA and EASA regulations is desirable but necessary
- Awareness of manufacturing in an aerospace or safety critical environment
- Previous experience of leading engineering teams of at least 10 people
- Good people-management, leadership and coaching skills
- Experience of leading and motivating a professionally qualified team in a challenging and demanding environment
- Familiarity of product development programs including formal design reviews
- Proven track record of building successful engineering teams
- Ability to communicate technical detail clearly and concisely
- Enthusiasm and desire to succeed
- Flexible approach to external commitments, including travel.
- Good organisational skills (personal and inter-personnel)
- Good communication skills both written and verbal, at all levels
- A good team leader, with excellent communication skills, who is able to manage multiple projects and priorities
This company is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
** If you're interested in this opportunity, please submit your CV via the link provided **