6 months ago
Combustion Equipment Design Engineer-18002469
Praxair, Inc. is a leading industrial gas company in North and South America and one of the largest worldwide. With market capitalization of approximately $40 billion and 2017 sales of $11 billion, the company employs over 26,000 people globally and has been named to the Dow Jones World Sustainability Index for 15 consecutive years. Praxair produces, sells and distributes atmospheric, process and specialty gases, and high-performance surface coatings.
Our products, services and technologies are making our planet more productive by bringing efficiency and environmental benefits to a wide variety of industries, including aerospace, chemicals, food and beverage, electronics, energy, healthcare, manufacturing, primary metals and many others.
POSITION QUALIFICATION SUMMARY:
The Design Engineer will be a member of the Praxair R&D Applications Equipment team. In this role, he or she will lead the design and implementation of oxy-fuel combustion burners and associated process equipment for new process application development and commercial technology implementation. This will require working closely with other R&D personnel as well as other organizations within Praxair and external customers.
The successful candidate will be expected to design burners and injectors (stainless steel and refractory components), manage the fabrication process, commission and startup the oxy-fuel burners at global customer locations as well as work closely with R&D combustion engineers on development projects at the Praxair Technology Center. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills, creativity, strong organizational and project management skills, safety focus and experience in industrial process applications including gas processing and combustion technologies. This position provides the opportunity to work on combustion projects in an all-encompassing fashion – from initial commercial project conception or development idea to successful startup at the customer.
* Leading the mechanical design and through all stages of a first-of-a-kind or commercial combustion project
* Participation in internal and external safety reviews, compliance with all Praxair safety standards
* Selection of applicable design and welding standards, maintaining a design related standards library
* Design to applicable design codes and design verification with calculations
* Documenting designs in specifications, preparation of general arrangement and detail design drawings
* Managing vendors and fabricators through the burner and combustion equipment fabrication process
* Communication with customers on implementation and interfacing of combustion equipment
* Startup, troubleshooting and optimization in collaboration with other Praxair and customer engineers
* Long- term follow-up with customer installations and collection of operating experience
* Developing combustion system designs for new technologies in collaboration with R&D team members
* Maintaining Praxair’s extensive burner design and spare parts library
* Supporting spare parts orders, demonstrations and commercialization of combustion technologies worldwide
(Salary and Job Level Commensurate with Experience)
* Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Process Engineering with focus on mechanical design and 5 or more years of industrial design experience with mechanical and/or process equipment OR Associate’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related mechanical design field and 10 or more years of industrial design experience with mechanical and/or process equipment
* Work experience with Solidworks or Autodesk Inventor suites of software
* Demonstrated experience managing design projects
* Experience using design codes for piping and pressure vessels
* Experience with programming and maintaining engineering spreadsheets in Excel
* Ability to work in industrial plants and on elevated platforms
* Ability to travel up to 20% of the time (domestic and international)
* 8 or more years of industrial design experience in combustion, process or petrochemical applications
* Experience using Autodesk Inventor suite of software and generating 3D design models
* Experience with FEM modeling
* Experience using CFD models and/or pressure drop calculations to calculate process flows in designs
* 3 or more years of experience leading implementation projects
* Experience working in the Industrial Gas industry including the design of oxy-fuel combustion systems and gas injection equipment for the steel industry
Sep 12, 2018, 4:00:00 AM
Dec 1, 2018, 3:59:00 AM
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.