8 months ago
Director Flight Safety
ALASKA AIRLINES' STORY
Alaska Airlines is one of the most respected names in aviation and flies throughout its namesake state and the Lower 48, as well as to Hawaii, Canada, Mexico and Costa Rica. Our roots date to 1932 and are symbolized by the Alaska Native painted on the tails of our aircraft. Guided by what we call the "Alaska Spirit", we pride ourselves on providing a lifeline to remote communities while delivering renowned service to everyone we fly. This commitment has brought us national and international recognition. We've been honored with a variety of awards by readers of Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA Today and others. Alaska, with Virgin America, is the premier airline for people on the West Coast, and together with its sister carrier Horizon Air, flies to more than 115 destinations. The two airlines are subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE:ALK) with annual revenues exceeding $7 billion.
The Senior level Flight Operations Quality Assurance (FOQA) BI Analyst supports workgroups by applying advanced analytics and forecasting on large and diverse datasets to predict anomalies for the identification and corrections of any safety hazards identified. The responsibilities for this position include data modeling and research, optimization, project management and solution design/delivery and will include the use of flight data to forecast changes in policy and procedures within Flight Operations.
Scope & Complexity
- This highly autonomous individual contributor provides advanced analytics to help increase safety and reliability of all aircraft operated by Alaska Air Group (AAG) and its subsidiaries.
- Leads in-depth research and analysis projects to identify negative performance factors and develop comprehensive solutions, leveraging technology and analytics.
- Supports the FOQA department by providing analysis on key data initiatives, and act as a data subject matter expert to align internal customer needs with IT technical requirements.
- Tracks safety performance against benchmarks.
- Develops and implements systems and technology and provide decision support for the operation through the development and distribution of reports, dashboards, and tools in order to maintain and enhance performance of front line operational employees.
- Works with stakeholders to define key performance metrics and develop reporting and tracking methods to facilitate achieving those metrics.
- Acts as FOQA data steward by performing a variety of administrative functions specific to the integrity, quality, and management of FOQA data including management of the FOQA data warehouse.
- Monitors multiple safety management data reporting systems to ensure integrated data solutions when looking for trends and future modelling of AAG Flight Operations performance.
- Researches new data sources and analytical tools to enhance the data-driven business process.
- Mentors and supports the development of other analysts throughout the company.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in analytical role working with business intelligence, analytics, research or operations or a Master's degree with 3 years of experience.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of business intelligence functions, including but not limited to analytics, data mining, reporting, report conversion, data cleansing, data modeling and relational databases.
- Advanced skills in SQL.
- Demonstrated experience working with disparate data sources, data blending, and advanced database functions (database management functions).
- Expert in visualization techniques, dashboard design, and decision support tools; experience using data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, etc.
- Modeling proficiency in cluster analysis and linear regression.
- Experience in descriptive and diagnostic statistics, sampling methodology, residuals analysis / ANOVA, and hypothesis / significance testing.
- Ability to work well with multiple, diverse teams.
- Data-driven mindset and a proven history of continuous self-development.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree is required. A degree with a focus in mathematics, economics, operations research, finance, statistics, business, computer science, or technical/engineering is preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience using coding languages (C++, C#, VBA, Python, or R).
- Basic optimization/simulation model development.
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
- Embody the Alaska Spirit and conduct oneself with Professionalism, Integrity, Resourcefulness and Caring
The location for this position is in Seattle, Washington
OUR CULTURE - ALASKA AIRLINES
For eligible employees, our company offers a unique total rewards package that few companies can match, including insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, 401(k) retirement savings plans, monthly and annual incentive bonus plans, time off and a generous employee travel program. Our values reflect who we are at work and in our communities: Own Safety, Do the Right Thing, Be Kind-Hearted, Deliver Performance, and Be Remarkable. Alaska Airlines also fosters a diverse and inclusive culture and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A few helpful tips when applying -
~Before applying, we recommend that you clear your browsing history including your temporary internet files and disable pop-up blockers. You can accomplish this by going to the Tools tab.
~Gather your paperwork, including your work history, resume etc. - before you apply to the position.
~ If you would like to include a cover letter, add it as your first page to your resume. Your resume is part of your application and unique to each position you apply to.
~Once in the application, be sure to use the links provided to return to the previous page if needed. The back button is not compatible with our system.
Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air do not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants are also protected by law.
Alaska Airlines y Horizon Air no toleran discriminacion o acoso en base a raza, color, credo, religion, origen nacional, estatus migratorio de residencia o ciudadania, edad, sexo, orientacion sexual, identidad de genero o expresion, estado civil, discapacidad, estado veterano protegido, informacion genetica o cualquier otra base protegida por la legislacion aplicable. Empleados o aspirantes que indaguen, discutan o revelen su compensacion o la remuneracion de otros empleados o aspirantes tambien estan protegidos por ley.