5 months ago
Aircraft Systems Designer - Mechanical-18001L0
As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Our avionics systems are taking off, so we’re looking to board a mechanical designer to assist in the design and certification of new avionics systems installations in 14 CFR Part 23/25 aircraft. Our aircraft systems designer will participate in the development and installation of mechanical/structural components as necessary to assure proper form, fit and function, as well as generate mechanical systems installation and component drawings and other required type design data needed to support Garmin STC projects. Must be able to coordinate with project leads, certification leads and installation technicians and develop documentation for new avionics system installations. If you want to help our avionics take flight, then we want to meet you.
We are looking for a full-time Aircraft Systems Designer (Mechanical) for our hangars in New Century, Kansas, located very near our corporate headquarters in Olathe, Kansas (the greater Kansas City area). In this role your will be responsible for assisting in the development and design of avionics and flight control systems installations. Other essential functions include:
* Design mechanical components to facilitate installation of avionics and flight control system installations
* Interface with suppliers for production of prototype units
* Generate mechanical system component and installation drawings and other type design drawings required to support STC projects
* Perform mechanical qualification activities, including environmental testing
* Assist in the preparation and verification of new installation documentation
* Assist in the generation of certification ground and bench test plans
* Assist in the creation of certification test reports and other compliance data for submission to the FAA
* Coordinate with project leads, certification leads and installation technicians as needed to complete assigned tasks
Qualified candidates possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical, Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering from a four-year college or university or above equivalent experience. Other requirements include:
* Understanding of commercial avionics interface standards and their installation
* Experience in avionics and flight control design, installation and certification
* Working knowledge of engineering properties of aircraft materials
* Experienced in prototype and production fabrication methods
* Ability to accurately gather field data and conceptualize practical mechanical solutions
* Proficient in AutoCAD
Our benefits are designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. They allow our associates to make their own decisions about their wellbeing and future and consistently rank Garmin as a top tier benefits provider when compared to other high-tech employers. We offer a choice of high value medical, dental and vision plans with low or no premiums, to fit your and your family’s preferences. In addition, Garmin’s financial benefits include a generous 401K retirement plan that provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount. Garmin offers many other benefits and perks ranging from wellbeing initiatives, educational assistance and career development, community charity support, and employee discounts just to name a few.
Job: Aircraft Certification
Primary Location: US-KS-New Century
Organization: Aviation Business
Job Class: Exempt