Aircraft Commerce magazine is looking for an enthusiastic & presentable new colleague with excellent communicative skills. You must have the ability to work independently, and produce work to a high standard, in an informal atmosphere at our town centre offices in Horsham (20 mins South of Gatwick airport).
The position will report directly, and work closely, with the Editor.
Aircraft Commerce is published bi-monthly, and publishes analytical editorial in particular relating to; aircraft operating & economic performance; maintenance & engineering; aircraft selection; airline strategy & fleet planning; flight operations; IT & connectivity systems in aircraft maintenance & airline flight operations; and aircraft operating performance & costs.
Essential – The applicant will have a few years experience in at least one of the following areas, as well as an active interest in at least two;
- airline operations;
- airline management;
- aircraft maintenance or
- aerospace and airline services marketing.
This is a diverse & interesting role that would suit someone with a keenness to build on their current knowledge and progress.
Regardless of whether the right person is already an aviation journalist, or someone just moving over to this field, we are looking for someone with a desire to learn and develop their knowledge of aircraft performance & economics. Much of the knowledge progression will be ‘on the job’ and will be encouraged and supported by the editorial team throughout.
- Researching & writing articles on the core subjects of technical, operational, financial & analysis;
- Assisting in the development of ideas for future editorial content;
- Contacting senior airline and industry suppliers and operators as part of the research process;
- Analysing flight, economic and technical data as part of the research process;
- Liaising with other teams at Aircraft Commerce (and the parent company NIMROD PUBLICATIONS LTD) reference contacts and information;
- Keeping up to date with aviation news & trends and international influences;
- Ensuring allocated articles are researched and written in time for editing and going to press;
- Image research and choosing (for articles);
- Assisting in the process of ‘going to press’.
- Good communication skills; both written and spoken (in person & on the phone);
- A solid experience of aviation in at least one of the above mentioned areas
- Computer literate (especially word, excel and internet searches)
- A keen interest in developing their understanding of the technical and economic performance of aircraft;
- Living within easy commutable distance of Horsham, West Sussex);
- An ability to discuss articles and research in a subjective way;
- To be comfortable talking and questioning senior managers about aircraft, engines, maintenance and / or operations.
- Be happy to travel to industry trade shows, maintenance bases, airlines & manufacturers within the UK, and Europe on occasion. Initially this will be with the Editor, but later alone.
- As you will therefore be representing the company, a smart appearance is expected when on-business off-site.