6 months ago
The Lead Electronics Packaging Material Process Engineer reports to the Mechanical Engineering Manager. In this capacity, you lead assigned material process objectives with respect to: Designing, analyzing, and testing components, electronic and thermal systems to meet product performance, cost, schedule and reliability requirements for electronic power conversion and control product development; Capturing process life cycle requirements; and Evaluating processes that meet design-to-cost.
The Lead Electronics Packaging Material Process Engineer demonstrates leadership in communicating business goals, programs, and processes for the Power Conversion & Control business. You will use your expertise to solve problems, develop and execute material process objectives for your-self, lead others, and have the ability to affect short-term and long-term business goals. You will be responsible for evaluating processes and configuring manufacturing processes to reduce cost, improve sustainability and develop best practices within the production process.
Through work assignments, you will:
* Apply advance engineering process concepts and technical requirements such as:
* reliability analysis
* statistical methods
* failure analysis
* material sciences
* heat transfer
* and physical properties data
Into functional product definition designs, analyses, and tests for packaging high power conversion electronics systems, controls, thermal management systems, and other electronics components / systems
* Take-part in developing Proposals for High Power Electronic Modules
* Work as a team in the development of modules in the Pompano Beach Clean Room
* Develop innovative solutions to manufacturing and testing processes with a goal of reducing the cost of manufacturing processes through alternate processing techniques, lower-cost of raw materials, reduced touch-labor time, lean manufacturing, and improved first time yield
* Monitor, control and improve production process consistency by using statistical process control tools and Six-Sigma methodology
* Solve problems in production processes through root-cause analysis, variation reduction, while adhering to ISO-9001 quality management system requirements
* Provide timely communications on significant issues or developments and participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
* Improve process capability and production volume while maintaining and improving quality standards
* Implement new equipment through procurement, installation, capability prove out, training, and process documentation
* Perform prototype builds of new printed circuit board assemblies, electronic products, and thermal management systems (such as cold plates) for use in cooling electronics
* Review and/or develop manufacturing procedures (such as heat treatment, hardware cleaning procedures, epoxy curing time, etc.)
* Specify and develop non-destructive testing (NDT) processes for various material properties of components and manage material NDT inspection special projects
* Write material specifications involving NDT techniques and requirements
* Travel to suppliers to audit processes, review test results, and develop solutions for materials
* Mentor technicians and designers / engineers in design, analysis and test methods to support material and component processes and testing as well as monitor the work of technicians, use gauges in driving quality inspections, and use instrumentation for testing
* Create definitions of parts, modules, and assemblies in the form of sketches, tolerance stack-ups, and various electronic data formats to support analysis, manufacturing, assembly, tooling, and inspection and determine dimensional constraints & geometric tolerances required for proper clearances and fits while designing for manufacturing and assembly
* Support global outsourcing initiatives by preparing and sending work packages to low cost suppliers, including defining the work scope, estimating hours and due dates, monitoring progress, and serving as a technical resource through periodic communication with suppliers
* Evaluate and influence new and revised Processes, Engineering Standards & Product Definition Operating Procedures
* Work as one team with Pompano Beach & Long Island engineering teams and anticipate 10% travel time to vendors and other GE sites
* Bachelor of Engineering from an accredited university or college with advanced courses in thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer
* Minimum of three years of leadership experience in the development of manufacturing processes for electronic product packaging, conceptual design, proposals, analysis, testing, and design for manufacturing / assembly of power electronics conversion and electronics control products with expertise in material sciences (Including Testing and assembly of micro-electronics in a clean room environment)
* This role requires use of technical data subject to U.S. Government contract restrictions and this posting is only for U.S. Citizens. GE will require proof of status prior to employment
* Ability and willingness to travel 10% of time to vendors and other GE sites
* Master’s Degree or PhD from an accredited university or college in Mechanical, Materials, or Chemical Engineering is preferred with a concentration in material sciences
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
* Ability to influence others and lead small teams
* Lead initiatives of moderate scope and impact
* Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously
* Effective problem identification and solution skills
* Proven analytical and organizational ability
GE is one of the largest employers in the U.S., with its global headquarters based in Fairfield, CT and 134,000 U.S. employees as of the end of 2012. Our facilities range from Thomas Edison’s original factory in Schenectady, New York, where over a thousand employees work today to build the latest generation of steam turbines and generators, to a GE Aviation plant in Durham, North Carolina, where hundreds of employees will make fuel-efficient, advanced technology jet engines. These locations exemplify an industrial renaissance that is happening in the U.S., driven by advanced manufacturing techniques, ground-up innovation, supporting thousands of new jobs, and making products for export. Want to be part of the renaissance? Join us today.
GE Aviation - Electrical Power, Pompano Beach is a recognized leader in the design and manufacturer of custom-engineered power conversion. Our site is predominately a US Military supplier providing equipment for a wide variety of land based, shipboard, missile and aircraft applications including air transport, rotorcraft and military fixed wing. We occupy a 22,000 square foot facility, designed specifically to provide vertical integration of the broad range of capabilities required to provide us with control over all aspects of the design, development, prototype build and qualification of products. We are a complete engineering design center utilizing digital, analog and creative packaging technologies to develop and qualify new products. Many of these new products support advanced power conversion requirements for a wide range of applications that include state of the art radar and laser systems. Pompano is a more recently developed community located just outside of Ft. Lauderdale, offering beautiful southern Florida weather all year round! Learn more about our community!
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE businesses, follow us on Twitter!
GE (NYSE:GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill the GE mission and deliver for our customers. Learn More about GE
Working for GE Aviation is exciting & challenging. Come see what you are missing!
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Locations: United States; Florida; Pompano Beach
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.