10 months ago
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises five staff accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Accounting Manager will have contact with senior-level Attorneys and the firm’s Executive Director and Controller which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
• Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
• Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
• Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
• Assist the Controller in the daily banking requirements.
• Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
• Ensure the monthly and quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
• Supports budget and forecasting activities.
• Collaborates with the other finance department managers to support overall department goals and objectives.
• Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
• Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
• Responds to inquiries from the Director of Finance and Accounting and other regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
• Work with the auditor to ensure a clean and timely year end audit.
• Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
• Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
• Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
• Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
• Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
• Support Director Finance and Accounting with special projects and workflow process improvements.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS EDUCATION
- BA in Business with an emphasis in Accounting
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Five to seven years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area. Experience working in professional services firm is preferred.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Experience with Elite Enterprise or other large automated accounting system a plus. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.